Saturday, August 25, 2007

.
In Tune

I heard it in the wind last night,
It sounded like applause.
Did you get a round resounding for you
Way up here?
It seems like many dim years ago
Since I heard that face to face,
Or seen you face to face,

Though tonight I can feel you here.
.
.............Excerpted from Joni Mitchell’s “For the Roses”

I picked up my dulcimer last night. Light shining into it through one of the heart-shaped sound-holes illuminated the penciled signature of its maker on the inside of the back piece: Dennis Dorogi Brockton NY March 14, 1972.

.

.
I’ve played a number of dulcimers over the years, but none compares to mine’s rich, mellow tone. Dennis is/was a superb craftsman, and he built his dulcimers from old barn wood. The cherry in this instrument was already aged for perhaps a hundred years before Dennis worked with it in 1972. The one I bought was his cheapest model (all I could afford at that time), its lower price reflecting a lack of carved or inlaid ornamentation, not a lesser sound or structural quality. It also came unfinished. I had to do the finish sanding and apply a light oil to it myself.
.

.
I strummed out a little of “Pack Up Your Sorrows” and “Carey”, then picked and sang the beginning of “Vincent” (Starry, Starry Night) – stopped by the realization that the diminished chord at “but on that starry, starry night, when no hope was left in sight” isn’t to be found on a dulcimer fret board. Joni Mitchell’s “California” didn’t sound half-bad despite my rusty voice. The chords I had once figured out and known so well came back to me with surprising ease.
.
Encouraged, I opened my guitar case and pulled out the beautiful old Martin D18 (eat your hearts out, bluegrassers!). The softness of my once-calloused fingers was immediately evident. Damn. This would be painful. My right hand was stiff and awkward, so I strummed and sang the first two lines of John Prine’s

“I just found out yesterday that Linda goes to Mars

Every time I sit and look at pictures of used cars
She'll turn on her radio and sit down in her chair

And look at me across the room, as if I wasn't there

Oh My stars! My Linda's gone to Mars
Well I wish she wouldn't leave me here alone
Oh My stars! My Linda's gone to Mars
Well, I wonder if she'd bring me something home,”

but then bagged it and travis-picked my way through “Sound of Loneliness” instead (because there aren’t any high notes, and because I think my voice has about as much “lilt” these days as Prine with a Sunday morning hangover). Husband cheered me on, maybe enjoying his own memories of our early days together, a time when I sang fairly regularly in a downtown coffeehouse, maybe secretly gritting his teeth at the degeneration of my music but knowing how much it still means to me.

.

.
I sang “Follow Me”, the voice and fingers cooperating enough to bring a smile to my face. There are a few songs that always remind me of my partner in music way back when, and “Follow Me” is definitely one of them. Mentally I turned back the clock and considered some of the Richard Farina songs we used to do, but I had put the dulcimer back in its case, so instead launched into “Lyin’ Eyes” (but had trouble remembering a chord progression in the chorus) and then another John Prine/Steve Goodman tune, “Souvenirs”, saying “Take it, Steve!” when I came to the break, and laughing at my clumsy picking.

I sang “Circle Game” and some of “Both Sides Now”, then bits and pieces of a Nanci Griffith tune, “There’s a Light Beyond These Woods”, squeezing my left hand hard against the guitar neck for the four-finger and bar chords, too often missing the frets’ sweet spot.

Finally, fingers sore and voice spent, I put the guitar back in its case. I entertained the thought of doing this much more often, of actually practicing. I thought of my musical old friend. We’ve kept in touch, and in fact, he’s about to take off for Ireland to teach a workshop in “American Fiddling Styles” to some folks who have bow rosin in their DNA. (If they were interested, he could also teach them a few things on the mandolin, banjo, guitar and autoharp). What would he think if he saw my stiff hands and heard my cracking voice? And what would he say if he saw the aging strings on my beautiful instruments? I winced.

“Between the soft fingers and the arthritis, this is quite a challenge,” I said as I snapped the clasps on the guitar case and set the dulcimer aside. Husband replied, “That was great – the best, well no, maybe the second best entertainment there is.” We laughed, turned out the lights and climbed the stairs to bed.

.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when you stroll down memory lane, the benefit whether it be photography, poetry, prose, or musical musings - the world is just a bit nicer. Thank you.

Robin said...

You never cease to amaze me.

Linda G. said...

This is just such a lovely post....
I'm glad I found your site.

Rick Rockhill said...

how excellent...you must record yourself sometime and play it on the blog!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear you and the Foilwoman pick and sing down memory lane. I think your styles would be very differnt but very complimentary!

meggie said...

O how I love Joni Mitchell! I dont know all of the music you mentioned but a lot of it is here in my collection.
I always wished I could play some instrument. I would love to hear you play & sing.

Anonymous said...

just had a thought - how about a combo show - where you sing and show your own photo power point/slides behind you?
I am serious.

darkfoam said...

playing for the pleasure of playing ..
that's what counts.

Em said...

You continue to amaze me. Now I learn you sing and play multiple instruments. Is there anything you can't do!?!?! :)

Judy said...

Becky - LYSFM!

Robin and Em - I am a "Jill of All Trades" but master of none... There's lots of "pretty good" in my life but little perfection.

Sheofetc. - How nice of you to stop by and comment. (Hey, everybody, go check out her blog - excellent writing and photos from a one-acre-wood).

Savant - I'm not sure the world is ready for a recording of me... but I'll think about that...

DD - Must check out Foilwoman. Thanks!

Meggie - If you haven't done so, go to YouTube and search for Joni Mitchell. There are some great clips of her performing back in the very early 70s.

Foam - No! It's the applause and the adoration that count!!!! (LOL)

Enemy of the Republic said...

You play DULCIMER! You rule!

whimsical brainpan said...

You are such a multi-talented lady!

That is a beautiful dulcimer Wizard! And living in the heart of bluegrass country I know of several people who'd walk to where you are just to see your Martin D18.

I love the song "Vincent". It almost always makes me cry though.

Kati said...

Awwww.... What a sweet compliment from your hubby. And what a beautiful dulcimer!!! And I'm very jealous of your musical talent. Thanks for sharing another great tale with us, Wiz!

Anonymous said...

The musical old friend would be sorry that your hands are stiff, but he would understand that they got that way doing other equally interesting and/or important things; he would also say something like "Fer Chrissake, change those strings before you get blood poisoning from them!; but he would still hear the same voice that caught his ear so many years ago in the stairwell, and has never let it go.

Judy said...

Dim lights,
People packing the floor,
Two voices, one song,
Harmony suddenly a capella -
“Now in this age of confusion
I have need for your company.”
Applause, amazed amusement,
The smiles of kindred souls.

Years flown,
Another century’s morning
Brings comment a capella.
Blue eyes tear,
Salty flow
Leaking from heart,
Washing over warm memories,
Musical friends
In harmony
Still.

We were good.

Citymouse said...

i wish i could play something other than the fool!
great post

Craig D said...

A MARTIN D18?!?!?!?

I'm not a bluegrass kinda guy (Well, OK, I own a mandolin) but you caught MY attention!

You really should play more often. Unless it cuts into your blogging time, in which case I'm prepared to offer you $50 for the pair (guitar and dulicmer).

Think it over, my friend!

Judy said...

Dream on, Craigster!

Ian Lidster said...

I haven't heard a dulcimer being played since about March 3, 1972. Or somewhere thereabouts. But, I think I can still remember what they shounded like. I always got them a bit confused with autoharps.

Judy said...

Ian - I play autoharp too, but my instrument had a sad ending: a gawdawful KERTWANG!!! (the sound of 36 strings successfully pulling an instrument apart) emanated from the closet wherein my autoharp had been resting... Your Sylvia Fricker is a good autoharpist, by the way.

DirkStar said...

Ask Pepper, I play a mean singing bowl! Really I do...

We shared the best visit. Her mother Jane is a great soul.

DirkStar said...

Ha! Just as I thought and posted on my blog...

Craig D said...

Wiz:

Don't be so hasty there!

I'm offering you not fifteen but FIFTY dollars!

And these aren't even new instruments we're talking about, here.

I urge you to reconsider...

Judy said...

Craig - You mean as in 5 - 0 ??! Oh dear... what to do, what to do... Let me talk with my people and I'll get back to you... Would you maybe be willing to throw in some original Anchor Bar wings from the City of Light?

Pepper said...

Beautiful post.

CS said...

I especially like that close-up with the two hearts.

Clay Eals said...

Good to see your post mentioning "Souvenirs," on a recording of which John Prine was joined by Steve Goodman. He often doesn't get his due. Thought you might be interested in an eight-year project of mine that has come to fruition -- an 800-page biography of Goodman published in May, "Steve Goodman: Facing the Music." The book explains the origin of "Souvenirs," which is solely a Prine song, and of Goodman's more than 100 compositions. Please check my Internet site below for more info. Just trying to spread the word. Feel free to do the same!

Clay Eals
1728 California Ave. S.W. #301
Seattle, WA 98116-1958

(206) 935-7515
(206) 484-8008
ceals@comcast.net
http://www.clayeals.com