Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Eclipsed

It was 2:30 in the morning. The alarm clock had been set for 2:45 but was rendered unnecessary by my own internal clock. I tip-toed to the spare bedroom for a good look at the full moon, but was disappointed to find it obscured by some wispy mare’s tail clouds, and I returned to bed. At 3:30, by my calculation still 24 minutes before the earth’s shadow would begin crossing the moon, the clouds had cleared and I got up and dressed for moon-watching.

The camera and tripod were waiting on the front porch, the remote shutter release by the door. The moon was so bright that no other light was necessary for me to make my way out from the shadows and into the moonlit front yard.

I could see a problem immediately: the moon was already low on the horizon. And then another problem: there was no sign of any dark, curved shadow on its beaming face. Was this the night after all? Thoughts of Karan and Shaman flashed through my mind, thoughts that they too would be up and outside… waiting…watching… waiting…

Inside the house again, I turned on the computer and checked the NASA website. It did say “The event begins 54 minutes past midnight PDT on August 28th when the Moon enters Earth's shadow. At first, there's little change.” Okay, 12:54 Pacific Daylight Time should be 3:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time… but then below the written descriptions of a full lunar eclipse was a timetable showing this:

..........................August 28, 2007, Total Lunar Eclipse

Time Zone............. Total Eclipse Begins.............Total Eclipse Ends
EDT (Eastern)................0552AM................................0722AM

Rats! Here I am all dressed up and no place to go for another two hours!! Why hadn’t I read this website all the way through?!?

I made myself a small bowl of granola, figuring I might as well have some sustenance as compensation for a lost night’s sleep.

Worst of all, I had told Shaman to get up by 3:54 too. I wondered what poem might come to her as she pondered why the clear sky held just another empty full (and of course beautiful) moon. Coyotes weren’t even howling. Maybe they had enough sense to be sleeping.

.....Fee fi fo fum
.....Sometimes wizards can be dumb


At five A.M. there was finally the hint of an arching shadow across the top of the moon – a moon which was now sinking low toward the horizon. I wondered if it would still be in view an hour from now when it would be reflecting all the great colors.

I took a few pictures as the shadow progressed, but soon the moon began to disappear behind the tree-tops on my horizon.
.
.
My bed beckoned and I answered its call as daylight began to overpower moon-glow.
.
At 6:28 A.M, this arrived from Shaman:
.
Lunar Eclipse

Chased the moon
around the house,
then around the yard,
got on my bike too,
but alas
I was eclipsed
by trees and time.
.

16 comments:

Linda G. said...

Trees entirely frustrated my attempts at pix. Yours are awesome!

Crabby said...

Oh nooooo. LOL!

Well, you did get some good shots of it.

I'd never be able to haul my double-wide bottom out of the bed. I know I couldn't. I'd just slap the crap out of the alarm and go back to sleep.

Kati said...

Dang!!!! I heard the eclipse was going to be about 3 this morning, I didn't realize that it was actually 12:57 PDT. That means I missed it by not too much with my full-moon photo at 11:30 pm Alaska-time. *sigh* Ah well....

Lovely pics!!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

The pics are very good, and I forgive you - cuz I would have had to have been up a tree to see it at that time anyway. I did get an email from a friend (I had not forwarded your kindly intended email to) who saw it and said it was very pretty. LOL

whimsical brainpan said...

I love the pic and Shaman's poem. Thanks for sharing!

It was too foggy here to see it.

DNR said...

Yet again, very cool pics. I had to sleep... rough weekend. (post in process)

A couple years ago my wife and I did a night orienteering course on the eclipse night. We literally went form needing no artificial light to not being able to see your hand in front of your face. It was a great time!!

Robin said...

Beautiful Wiz....must have been magical to be alone with it like that....Thank you....

DirkStar said...

Ha! I live on a hill and watched it all.

See, sometimes living in the city has its advantages...

Pepper said...

I missed it. The picture is beautiful!

Jocelyn said...

These posts are such multi-media events--a post that tells the story of a photograph that intersects with a poem.

Very rich experience for us readers/viewers.

Officer Gary said...

Once again- beautiful photography. Your ability to paint a mental photo with your text is also very keen. I learn something new every time I visit your site.

Gretchen said...

Nice! I wasn't able to move around enough to get out and photograph it. Thanks for sharing it.

Sue said...

These look so professional - you truely are a wizard!!

Citymouse said...

i forgot :(

CS said...

Nice progression - my son had told me it was at 4am and then I looked on-line at that time and found it was an hour later. I posted just a single shot of it today.

eric1313 said...

I don't usually miss celestial events and portents, but I did miss this one. I had a lot going on.

Love the pictures. Thanks for the visit and your words, friend.