Thursday, August 30, 2007

Air Time
.
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

..................(Lyrics credited to Frank Sinatra)
.
Being a grandparent allows you to do some things you might otherwise miss out on. Last weekend we took Grandson (age 5) to Ottawa to see an air show featuring old and "antique" planes. There were also a number of beautifully restored antique cars.
.
There were many other people armed with cameras - some with obviously expensive gear - snapping photos left and right. It was easy to see that most of them were plane-lovers taking pictures... while I was a photographer who saw this as an opportunity to take pictures of a different sort of subject than often crosses my path.
.
Here, for your viewing pleasure (I hope), is a peek at some of what we enjoyed. Not being an airplane buff, I have not supplied names and descriptions for most of the craft, but I hope you like this little "album" in which I tried to capture some of the beauty of carefully tended, old machinery. Yes, every one of them flew.
.
. Click on any photo for a better look.


.


.
......................................Rain threatened but never materialized.
.

.


.

.
.............This Seabee's propeller is behind the cockpit.
.

.


.
. .....Uh, why are the "Mis -Terris" of the world always redheads...?



.

.
.......... A 1920's era Franklin beside several SeaBees
.
The show took place at an aeronautical museum, so of course we also spent time inside. I'll post those photos on another day. Right now I'm feeling that I need to look at something green and living...
.

21 comments:

Craig D said...

Those are some scary-looking clouds!

Nice pix. Sounds like a day well-spent!

Crabby said...

These are great! I love seeing the clouds roll in. And how often do you see a 1920's Franklin? That is really cool.
for my money these pics are more interesting than the kind a real airplane buff would take.

Enemy of the Republic said...

I look forward to those days!

The Lone Beader® said...

Oh WOW!!! How did you know I love airplanes?? :)

I grew up around planes, and I hung out at the airport when I was a kid. My father and grandfather both flew antique 4-seater airplanes, and I always used to go flying with them. I keep bugging my Dad to send me photos of both of their planes. I have a vision of a beaded mobile that perhaps has a motor in it so the planes actually fly.... I'm working my way up to that piece...

Anyways, thank you for the inspiration to bug my Dad again... :)

Ian Lidster said...

I love air shows. We have one here in Comox every other year and I recognize some of the aircraft you pictured, since they make the circuit.

darkfoam said...

no matter the subject matter you're compositions are always great.

Em said...

The enlarged views were just beautiful. I love the photo that is the reflection. Sounds like a very nice day.

Now, I must admit, I've tagged you for a meme. I don't think I've ever done this before to you, but this particular meme made me think of you. I hope you've not already done it...and I hope you don't feel put-upon. LOL

Robin said...

The way you shot some of them make them look like toys...cool. And I love the 'reflective' photo, too. Thanks.

(And I know why you would now need to see something green and living....)

Citymouse said...

ok.. just so you know as parents we do this... and some times we dont even take the kids

Judy said...

It really was a fun day, and although I don't need an excuse to act like a kid, an air show wouldn't have been one of those things I'd do just for me.

There's a certain charm to the old planes, and the day previous I had heard a fascinating Amelia Earhart story, so this particular show was interesting to me. Had they been flying fighter jets and military aircraft, I would not have taken Grandson to see it.

captain corky said...

I can't wait to take my son to places like this. It will be nice to finally go to the zoo again. I think it's only been about 30 years since the last time I went to the zoo. ;)

Judy said...

Captain Corky - Ah yes, the zoo was GREAT! We went with him to the Washington D.C. National Zoo last April.

Mike - Thanks, but no thanks. Those who want to know the person behind my blog can read my blog.

Rick Rockhill said...

Fantastic photos!!! I love airplanes. I am jealous, what a fun day!

Linda G. said...

Awesome pix! Even a dedicated terra firma lover like me can to immagine buzzing about the clouds in one of those beauties! What a great day with your grandson..I'll bet he had an exciting time.

meggie said...

Grandchildren are the best excuse for doing lots of things!!
I love all your wonderful photos. I was struck by the menacing looking clouds though, wouldnt have wanted to be flying in those!

Jocelyn said...

I'm trying to imagine how much $$ you paid to some Hollywood producer to get him/her to provide such cinematic, dramatic clouds as a backdrop.

Synchronicity said...

hello there wizard! just wanted to stop by and say howdy. i have changed my blog address once again. stop by sometime if you get a chance.

Sling said...

My pops used to say."It should be decorative,as well as functional"..I think those antique planes and autos reflect that philosophy very well.
Great photos Wizard!
I've come to expect nothing less..

eric1313 said...

This was beautiful!

Glad I cam by. I've been bust moving across Michigan--from Detroit to Okemos, just outside Lansing. Glad to have a breather.

Love airshows! I even don't mind the the crick in the neck from looking up all day. Or the sunburns. That's all just part of the charm.

Anonymous said...

great images. looks like it was a splendid aftertoon... and a memorable one for your grandkid.

DirkStar said...

Awesome pictures.

I've never been a big fan of aviation stuff but I sure do dig the planes themselves.