Monday, April 23, 2007

What's In a Word...

Have you noticed what animists young kids are?

When I was little, there were mice and ducks and dogs that talked. We took for granted that a certain yellow canary was verbally sassy: "I tawt I taw a puddy tat! I did! I did taw a puddy tat! Bad old puddy tat! " and that Sylvester would answer with a salivating, "Sufferin’ succotash!" These days, cars are anthropomorphic.

And so it is that my four-year-old grandson is terrified of ... THE BOILER... The boiler "lives" in our mudroom, making vague firing noises when water needs to be heated or if the woodstove goes out. Grandson is absolutely scared to death of the thing. Luckily, there is a door between the "play room" and that mudroom, apparently making the play space safe for four-year-olds (when the door is closed).

Saturday the little guy was here and headed for the play room when he saw that someone had left the protective boiler shield open. I was busy in the kitchen and didn't notice his distress as he asked - more than once - "Gramma, will you shut the door?"

Finally, in desperation he yelled, "Shut the damned door!!!" which launched me to explain to him that "shut the damned door" isn't a good way for little boys to talk. He listened, looked at me sweetly and said, "Gramma, please shut the damned door."
.

15 comments:

noisysmile said...

that is hilarious! kids say the damnedest things sometimes.

Robin said...

Thanks for the (very wide) grin.

whimsical brainpan said...

ROTFLMAO! Oh that is just priceless Wizard! I'm gonna be giggling all day.

darkfoam said...

hehe, chortle, chortle.......and a giggle.....

is this a classic case of the apple falling not far from the tree?......
still grinning over here...

Kati said...

ROFLMAO!!!!!! Oh, Wiz, it's a good thing you're such an understanding and wize woman, I think. So, I'm guessing you shut the door? ;)

Craig D said...

Somewhere, Art Linkletter is weeping.

I think the kid in the original "Home Alone" movie was scared of the furnace in the basement.

FWIW...

Anonymous said...

This boy would be lovable to anyone!!!
ah but where did he hear damn?

singleton said...

Laughing, laughing, and laughing! Oh, Gramma, did you shut the damn door?

Sling said...

"Holy Shit Grandma!"...LMFAO!

Pepper said...

What a sweetie. That is so funny.

ThursdayNext said...

Awwwww! That is so sweet and very much reminds me of Scout from TKAM when she asks Atticus to "PLEASE pass the damn ham..."

Its nice to be back here, Wizard.

DNR said...

Bawhahah!!! LOL!!!

Gotta love the innocence of children.

That which we don't understand scares us. This truth holds for most of our lives.

CS said...

I like a polite kid, one who knows how to say please!

(And those irises below are stunning)

Crabby said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA! Well, I hope you finally shut it. LOL!

whimsical brainpan said...

*wonders if the door was left open and the boiler got Wizard*