Friday, April 20, 2007

Walking Iris
.


joyful occasion
return of prodigal sun

surprised buds bursting

This houseplant flowers only in the spring, perhaps about eight flowers per year. Each blossom begins in the evening as a swollen green bud, appears as a large white "cone" in the early morning, opens by 10 AM, and has shriveled and died by evening.

This plant makes me think of the story about the sexuality seminar: The facilitator begins by asking the group how many have sex at least once a week. Several hands are raised somewhat proudly. Next he asks, “How many of you have sex at least once a month?” and a few shy hands are raised. He then asks, “Is there anyone here who only has sex say, only once a year?” and one guy excitedly jumps up, waving his hand and shouting, “Me! Me!” Everyone in the room is a bit shocked at this guy's enthusiasm, and the facilitator cautiously inquires, “You seem rather happy about your sex life. This is a bit surprising.” The once-a-year guy excitedly answers, “Tonight’s the night!!!”

8 comments:

Robin said...

Wiz...really beautiful! Is it called a Walking Iris?

Judy said...

Robin -

That's the only name I know it by. Of course there must be a scientific name too, but it's unknown to me.

I saw these growing outdoors in Costa Rica (in a flower garden), flowering in February. Maybe they flower more often in their native habitats, but I don't know that either. And I don't really know if Costa Rica is their native habitat.

They are a pretty cool houseplant.

Em said...

LOL...excellent story there.

That is a beautiful flower. Do all the blossoms come on the same day? Or do the blooms spread out over a few days?

Bardouble29 said...

Beutiful flower.

And I feel bad for the poor guy, but at least he is counting his blessings!

Judy said...

Em - Actually I guess I'm luckier than the poor guy in the seminar: these blooming occurrences do spread over about 2 - 3 months. Often there are lone bloomers, but I've had as many as three or four open on the same day. A lot depends on how often I feed them.

Anonymous said...

walking iris, huh?
i'm gonna look out for one.
foam

ps: lol..
the irises are luckier than that guy apparently

whimsical brainpan said...

How beautiful!

LOL! I loved the story.

Robin said...

I'm out looking for one as well. Thanks!