Tuesday, January 16, 2007

In and Around the Horsie Hilton


Horses - like people - have very distinct personalities.

Dream loves her barn and her stall. If it ever catches fire, she is the horse who will run into it and go up in flames because of the security and safety it represents to her. Preventing her access to it causes equine melt-down. After shutting her out for a few hours, I risk life and limb opening the door: she hurtles in, often smashing into wall or door in her haste. One evening she repeatedly crashed head-long into the barn door in anticipation of my flinging it open (and diving for cover).
.

Heidi, on the other hand, is like the rural mailman: "neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow" keep her from the outdoors. Her attitude seems to derive from a fear of being trapped and the need to be able to flee from imagined dangers (like the saddle) at will.


Why do I keep these two nut-cases? Just look at them. Come to the barn with me and listen to their greetings, see the contentment they find in the simple pleasures and comforts I offer them, tell them your troubles and know that they understand your mood and will never tell anybody your secrets.

I fell in love with horses when I was very young.
.
.
I still have a pair of appropriately named "saddle shoes" that fit me when I was two years old. Stuck to the bottom of them is some horse manure dating back to 1947. Some loves never die.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's it take to get a little room service in this joint?

P.S. NEIGH!

Kati said...

They're beautiful, Wiz!!!!

Judy said...

Sheeesh, Dream! Have you already forgotten the extra flakes of hay this morning? The grain?? And have you forgotten you were GIFT HORSES and hungry when I rescued you??? And couldn't you follow Heidi's example just once and pee outside? Oh, okay. What is it that you think you need? I'm coming...

whimsical brainpan said...

Oh Wizard they are so beautiful! I love the pic of Heidi in the snow.

Thanks for the link you left me. It's great!

..................... said...

oh, how exciting..
an innie and an outie horsie..:)
sorry, couldn't help myself.
anyways, who can't help but loving characters like that?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful horses dear. My son is a horse lover.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the visit! I enjoyed reading back through your entries and loved seeing the horse shots. Will look forward to following new posts. Carmon

Bardouble29 said...

It has been absolute years since I have ridden, I used to just love to let the horse loose and run. It was a freedom and and salvation to me. Yours are beautiful....

Robin said...

Lord, how beautiful. I'm from Kentucky- the middle of horse country- well, it was back then. I worked and lived for a while on a trotting track. You make me miss what's no longer there

Judy said...

Kati and Whim - Yes, they are beautiful. Someday I'll tell the story of how I got them. (It was certainly their lucky day).

Shaumi - Now I'll have to start calling them "Innie" and "Outie" instead of "Fat" and "Fatter"!

Rose - Thanks for stopping by. These two are a bit rogueish and impudent - something a teenager (even a sweet one) might appreciate!

Carmon - So glad you dropped in. I loved looking at your mustangs and your dogs in the beautiful mountain snow. (Hey, everybody: go visit Life at Star's Rest!)

Bardouble - I hear you. I love it when they run and pretend to be wild, and I love to be on a horse that's running full speed for the glory of it (although I can't really do that safely on our woods trails).

Robin - Dream is actually a registered Standardbred (has the tatoo inside her upper lip). I think she was a broodmare long ago. Sorry to hear that Kentucky is going the way of so much of the country.

And all you lurkers who don't comment - Drop by again, and don't be so shy...

Craig D said...

Hey, wiz! One of your horses has gotten loose and wandered over to my blog!

Or to quote Dr. Martin Luther King, "I have a Dream!"

DNR said...

Very beautiful Whiz!! We had an Arabian many years ago (tattooed under her mane). Loved riding her and a gelding that stayed with her. Red. He was huge and FAST!! But I don’t think he like being ridden. If you didn’t pay attention, he’d run past a tree and take you leg off on the trunk or try to knock you off on a low hanging branch. He forced me to learn how to ride hanging off the side of the saddle. LOL!

Love the Heidi in the snow pic!! Very beautiful!

Judy said...

Craig and DNR - You both have me LOL! Craig, you actually have a Nightmare...; DNR, where do they learn that tree thing?!? Bolting for an open barn door that was built for a short horse is also an effective rider-scraper-offer. Horses are great if you can survive them!

russkal said...

Wow.

You got horses?

Meennn...

BTW, congratulations on winning the photo contest!

Joshua said...

Yeah Kati said it best.

"They're beautiful, Wiz!!!!"

Other than the fact that it's freaking cold there, I love the way it looks up there.

Pepper said...

I have not had good experiences with horses. I don't know why I will still get on them. One of my horse horror stories was when I was talked into sneaking onto a co worker's property to take a picture of her horse. Then we were going to take the picture, frame it, and give it to her for a birthday present. I get up to the fence, the horse is far enough away to make me feel comfortable. I raise my camera to take the picture and the animal decided to charge me. I started snapping and backing up. It ended up being one of the nicest pictures I have ever taken. I changed my pants, went to WalMart and she was so happy with the picture.