Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sucked In

There’s been a subliminal sucking sound. I’ve heard it and been drawn to it: call it fame, notoriety, attention, recognition, or maybe distraction.

I started to blog nearly seven months ago, and at first it was simply a wonderful creative outlet. Stuff poured from my brain through my keyboard and then materialized on my computer screen. I figured I would write a memoir of sorts, something that would speak to who I am (or was), something my children - and perhaps their children - might someday read. I felt I have experienced a few things worth sharing, and developed a wizard’s eye view along the way.

Soon I strolled around in Bloggerville, curious to see who else was in the neighborhood. I clicked on the “Next Blog” tab, landing randomly in blogs that usually were of no interest to me, although occasionally I’d find one worth bookmarking for some future exploration (so far I haven’t bothered revisiting any of them). I blogged on, "doing my thing” with photos and the occasional rhyme, creating an olio of humor and serious thoughts, mixing stories, memories and commentary; playing with words, images and ideas.

But several weeks ago, things changed. Where there had been 0 comments the day before, now there was 1. "Dirk Star" said he wouldn’t be dropping by for the drink of water I was offering... Who was Dirk Star?? Intrigued by this visitor, I went to his site, and I wasn’t disappointed. Other people were leaving him comments, so I went to their sites and found some people whose blogs are worth reading. Not all of them, but there are the funny ones, the ones with heart and humor; the amazingly talented ones; the ones who make you think or question or feel awed by their accomplishments. A sucking sound became faintly audible.

I began to leave comments on the blogs that seemed interesting, and I checked my site more and more often to see if anyone was returning that contact. I liked my new friends, and I made it my business to check their blogs frequently and leave messages for them. The more comments I left on blogs, the more bloggers came to leave comments on my blog. It was exciting! Strangers were reading my pieces: I had an audience! The sucking sound grew louder.

As this notoriety increased, I assumed the persona of a more common (and less wizened) wizard. I posted a picture of a steaming manure pile, and rather than write about the glories of compost, I challenged people to make metaphors. A gnome became my sidekick, and suddenly I wasn’t sure whose voice I was using to speak. (Sssssuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkk.......)

Trying to regain my balance, I turned off my computer. Hours later, when I returned to the streets of Bloggerville, the good guys were still there: Whim, Meander, Dirk, City Mouse, Craig D. and a few others. But as I had found back in the beginning, Bloggerville is rife with the immature and shallow, the bored folks, and the boring (juvenile, profane, inane, lacking in originality or substance) blogs that have to be sifted through while seeking the gems, and it was to this sifting pursuit of a readership that I had been sucked.

Then, just as the sound became a roar, a dear old friend commented to me, “I get the feeling that we are the only ones in this crowd who have any rural living experience. And we're probably the only ones over 35, too! Dreadful thought, eh?” And at that moment I knew my foray into Bloggerville was off course. I could hear my life in that place where you can almost see the end of the world calling me back. Yes, I’d love to have people read my tales and see my photos, but that’s not what I had set out to do with my blog.

I turned for the exit gates of Bloggerville, but perhaps not quite ready to leave, I made one last visit to Dirk’s site
http://jestersrap.blogspot.com, the place where it had begun. It was the same exciting technicolor lay-out that it had been yesterday, but to my surprise, Dirk Star had been replaced – on this day – by Dirk B., husband and father-to-be. His “voice” was noticeably different than Mr. Star’s. Sure, there was some wit carrying the seriousness along, but this was the heart of the real man speaking.

I stopped. Perhaps I shouldn’t leave Bloggerville after all. Perhaps I could regain my true voice and intent without saying goodbye to those here whom I’ve come to care about. I am a wizard wizened by time and experience, by the woods and the lakes and the animals of the forest; I have worn a business suit, and I have driven a firewood truck. I am a gardener, a carpenter, a stone mason, a handyman; an editor, a photographer. I am passionate in my loves and my hates. I am an actress, a musician, and yes, I am a comic. I have watched Death and I have given life. Can I remain true to myself in this place?

I listen intently, but I can no longer hear it: the sucking sound is fading away. My decision is made. I will stay, but I will place the seriousness of my original intent above the temptations that Bloggerville offers, writing first and foremost for myself and for my children’s children. Sigmund and I will occasionally still make our trek to the taverns of Bloggerville (I just can’t help myself...), but mostly the Wizened Wizard will write her memoir far from the madding crowd. Will you still visit me sometimes?

12 comments:

Max and Me said...

what? there is no way in hell you are leaving!!! i won't stand for it! i wanted to tell you how much i already appreciate and need you! yes need! your words are beautiful...i felt like you gave me a gift today with just your comments. don't you dare leave!

yes be yourself and write for you but just be and stay!

whimsical brainpan said...

Ok, first off you can't leave. I have put your link in my sidebar. Do you really want to make me go through the trouble of taking it out?

I liked your writing style before you said you started writing with someone elses voice (I think you are being a bit too hard on yourself there) and I will keep comming back daily to see what new things you have to say. And always blog for yourself. I think the best posts are written for oneself. They are more honest.

As for the age thing, I am 37 and I know for a fact that three of the other poeple you mentioned are above that age. I also have lived in a rural setting and I love hearing about such experiences.

As for Dirk Star, I love his blog and truly adore the man but I am very tired of people comparing their blogs to his. Do you own thing. I'd bet he'd say the same thing.

So don't go. You will make me and several other people very sad. You don't want to make me sad do you? You are part of what I now call my daily blog stroll and I would miss your particular brand of scenery quite a bit if it went missing.

Judy said...

Meander and Whim - You are both kind and I appreciate your sentiments. The temptation to "play" is always great, and I felt I was drifting off course. I love theatre, so for me there is definitely the lure of pretending to be someone else. (I'm a Gemini with schizophrenia... - count 'em: that's about four personalities)! I actually love playing the roles the gnome and I could play, but years from now and out of the context of the blog world, they would seem pretty strange and irrelevant to my children, I think.

You are both straight shooters - perhaps Whim more than Meander (who sometimes tries to put on the positive face when in her heart feels otherwise). No matter. You are each strong women whose strength is challenged on a daily basis, and I like to read your blogs. You inspire me. I am glad to have "met" you here, and I will continue to visit you.

I won't go away. (After all, I'm hooked). I will just try to focus back on what passes for normal in the north woods and tell the stories that reflect my reality. I knew I had ceased to do that when I began considering what the Blogosphere audience might ENJOY when I began to write a post.

Thanks for being the great women you are.

Max and Me said...

yeah...you better stay!

and as for being theatrical...you can do that too. it is fun! why not share all the different parts to yourself? no crime in that. this is a place to play and to be creative. allow yourself to shine.

DirkStar said...

I couldn't comment.

I emailed instead...

DirkStar said...

Want to see some “real” flower power?

DirkStar said...

Did you go to whims and visit the Secret Santa hiding in teh lotus?

I think you'll get a laugh...

Yes, santa is hiding out at whims place.

DirkStar said...

Great, now the press is hounding me...

DirkStar said...

Focus non-coffee-san!

Best wizarding, still inside...

russkal said...

Dear Wizard,

As you commented on my blog, I am only but a blogging "babe". True, but allow me to share a knowledge I have learned in my measly 30 years of existence.

One way or another, you are bound to meet a person, or even people, who, in his or her, or their own way, will, deliberately or unwittingly, change the way you view life forever.

Now I may have only been blogging for 2 months, but the blogosphere has led me to a multitude of directions. Like a prism, it channeled me to a wide forray of colors. It took me to places I have never gone before. Most importantly, it made me gain valuable experiences.

Some were forgetful, some were memorable. Some made me laugh, while others just annoy. And some were just so valuable, you would treasure those experiences forever. Not because it made you laugh, but also because it made you sad.

It's because it challenges you. It questions your beliefs, exposes your inhibitions and shakes you down to the very core of your existence. It teaches you to think differently, to throw caution to the wind and embrace changes of beliefs, of perception, changes that you once thought were unfathomable.

These are the kind of people you want to keep. These are the kind of people whom you want to remind yourself are worthy of writing for. These are the kind of people that remind me of You, Dirk and Meander.

As you see, I don't have that many friends here like Dirk, you and Meander have. Heck, when I started blogging, the only ones who visited my site were my brother-in-law, a colleague and my best friend.

But one thing I learned in the blogosphere as well as in life, is that it's not about the quantity of friends you have, but the quality of friendship you share with them.

I know. We are not the closest of friends. Nor am I drinking buddy to Dirk or a phonepal of Meander's. But what I have is enough. What I read (yes I do read your blog posts and enjoy them) will suffice...

...for me to say that you, along with other people I hold dear (wherever they may be) have changed the way I view my life.

Craig D said...

Hey, thanks for the mention!

By all means, blog or don't blog, as you see fit. Sometimes folks can get sucked in to an "online personna" and it can be difficult to remove the party lampshade once it's on your head.

I'll be checking back to see what you might have on your mind. Why? Just because!

TTFN!

Mr. Nauton said...

Wow. My first time here, and not only impressed with your writing, please don't stop, but the quality of comments you have inspired! Plus, the well photo is tripping me out... I turn my head, tip the screen....