Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Scream

There are sounds that a person recognizes the first time they’re heard. The metal-on-metal crunching noise of one car smashing into another turns your head, but your eyes are not at all surprised to see what caused the noise. Although the actual damage may be shocking, you already knew intuitively what the sound was.

I once had a sound-recognition experience that I will always remember. It wasn’t the impact of metals, glass and plastics coming together, it was the screaming of a rabbit, and although I had never heard it before, I recognized it as such.

I grabbed my camera and raced toward the sound - not stopping to wonder why the rabbit might be screaming - and there, under my back porch, Nature’s plan was being carried out. The rabbit struggled but could not kick free of the mink's jaws. Death was swift.



The mink – beautiful though somewhat bloodstained – eyed me for a moment, moved closer as if to get a better look, and then went about the task of dragging the rabbit’s body to a protected place where he could dine on it as his needs arose. I watched from about six feet away.

Standing there, I suddenly understood the waning of the local mouse population. The mink had probably been hunting the area for some time, unseen and unheard as he consumed the deermice and voles, nature’s quiet Quarter-Pounders. But for the rabbit’s screams, I would never have seen him, and although sorry for the snowshoe hare, I welcomed this four-legged rodent trap.

A week later, the daughter of a neighbor dropped in to say hello. She was home on a break from her missionary work. I casually mentioned having seen a mink under my back porch, and with amusement, she told me about coming home and finding a mink in their yard, writhing in agony. Her father had poisoned it. Eventually bothered by its suffering, she got a friend to shoot it.

This young woman and her dad believe in Heaven and Hell, and being born-again Christians, they feel assured of a place in the former. I am not so sure. In fact, I hope that there might be a peaceful place, an eternity, where God’s innocent creatures could go about their business without ever having to cross paths with those who so blatantly disregard their beauty and their importance.

6 comments:

Max and Me said...

wow...you know you had me so riveted...it was like this scene was happening right before me. i didn't know rabbits made any sound. what does it sound like? i am so fascinated by your writing. i grew up a city girl and...i never saw nature up close and personal. we didn't even have trees on our block.

please write more!

whimsical brainpan said...

Amen!

"nature's quiet Quarter-Pounders"
Wizard, that line is priceless!

Ticharu said...

We do nothing but meddle, interfere with and utterly destroy the intricate web of life. We are a plague...

Judy said...

I'm fond of the Seinfeld quote, "People. They're the worst."

DirkStar said...

Cough... cough...

I'm feeling kind of rough this morning.

Sniff...

Judy said...

I don't think there's any way to accurately describe a rabbit's scream except to say that it's pretty awful. As far as I know, it is a death scream, something only used in terror. Apparently you can buy a hunting lure that mimics it, because the well-driller mentioned that it will attract coyotes.