Tuesday, November 08, 2011

I Smell A Rat!

'Funny the skills you accumulate over the course of a lifetime: driving a nail, mending a mitten, riding a horse, baking an apple pie, tap dancing, writing a blog.  Many of them you don't ever think about, but now and then a learned skill might catch your notice as something that sets you apart from the pack. 

In my case, being able to insert four fingers in my mouth and rip off a loud, shrill whistle has always seemed to me to be one of those things that elevates me to a place most girls don't get to.  It's good for calling a crowd to order or summoning a dog, not to mention the fact that people are impressed.

And although you often hear somebody say, "I smell a rat!",  I really can.  This doesn't happen very often, but yesterday, in the barn, there it was:  my nose, and the unmistakable aroma that falls somewhere between piss, vinegar and old sneakers.  I'd forgotten all about rat-smelling as part of my skill-set, but yup, sure enough, I, my friends, have it.

It's funny what life in the country can teach a girl.  And now I need to impart that knowledge to the cat.

2 comments:

Robin said...

1 very ashamed Owl hooted.

I saw your words on Carmon's blog and wanted to say hello, again.

Judy said...

Hi Robin,

(I can't seem to comment on your blog, so I'm doing it here).

I wish things were better in your end of the woods. Crap. I was in our local 666BBHS yesterday. It's fairly new here, and their only competition is small local stores. It's those small independent places that are being crushed by 666BBHS, and where the closings and job losses are occuring.

I'm on FB now, and I'm continually amazed by the seemingly okay folks who are reviled by the Occupy Wall Street protesters. What is wrong with people?? How greedy is too greedy?

Anyway, I wish you some good luck and better times.

Lately I've been nostalgic for my old Blogger friends. A trip out of the Wizard's forest to check on them was both heartening and saddening. Some have completely disappeared, one was in a coma and dying (relatives posted on her blog), others struggle. And then, some of the writers are still writing wonderful things.

May some better times come your way, Robin.

All that's good -

Wiz