Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Life's Accumulations



.
This has been a strange week. The "heart thing" surely has me thinking more realistically about mortality, and it has strangely mobilized me. Out with the clutter in my life! Toss the accumulated meaningless possessions! Focus on what matters!

And so it was that I discovered my mother's baby book in a stack of miscellaneous papers. I must have once intended to look through them, so maybe an interruption landed them on the top shelf of an antique cupboard.

At first glance, it had the look of an old-fashioned storybook, but it was titled, "Baby's Story - an Autobiography". As I picked it up and started to open it, the speakers spewing a random playlist began playing "Feels Like Home to Me", a Randy Newman song sung by Bonnie Raitt. I froze. It was the song I sang to her when she was near death, the song that somehow revived her and rekindled her life-spirit. And there in my hands were the details of her birth: the date December 12, 1912 (which I knew) and the time 10 PM (which I hadn't ever heard). More entries recorded gifts and noted the dates she crawled, stood and walked, and there, still unfaded red, was a lock of her hair. Several pages later, a description of the baby bore the words "Red hair, Freckles, No brain!" and another (First Words) said "Hee-haw!" - each in her own penciled grammar-school handwriting.

This is clutter I shall keep.

.

4 comments:

Kati said...

That is some great clutter to come across!!!!! I hope you get a chance to share the awesome-ness of it with your grandson so he'll get to know a bit of who YOUR mom was. And I hope he appreciates the knowledge as you share it with him.

Anonymous said...

Wow, not clutter at all - that's a treasure!

whimsical brainpan said...

Wow...

*is speechless*

There is something for you at my place.

DirkStar said...

I'm alive too!

Insulin is a good thing...

My blood sugars were ranging between 450 and 550.

Yeah, I felt like death.

Felicia was worried sick.

Missed ya.

Glad we both didn't kick the bucket, the blog world would have collapsed without us.