Sunday, March 16, 2008


............Sipress cartoon from The New Yorker, 3/10/08, p. 91
.
Behind the altar in the Baptist church of my childhood was a velvet curtain. If I ever did think about it as my mind wandered during Sunday services, I’d have thought it was simply a decorative touch, a bit of burgundy (or was it gold??) that matched one of the colors in the stained glass windows.

When I was about thirteen, my church-going contemporaries and I were herded into a baptismal class. The lessons “taught” to me there didn’t stick in my memory – but for the revelation that a large concrete water trough had been secretly lurking behind that velvet altar backdrop, and that one by one my classmates and I were going to be paraded into that tub and get our heads wet. In all the years past, church folks had been smart enough to do this sort of thing after all the young kids were sent down to their Sunday School classes. None of us had previously witnessed this strange event.

On “the big day” we donned some sort of white cotton choir robes, got in line, and then one-by-one waded into the tank. The water was waist-high, the minister asked me the pertinent questions, I answered as I’d been instructed to, and SPLOOOSH: the bastard tipped me over backward and under water. Apparently I came out of that tank a saved Christian; in reality I decided this religion was for the birds, or maybe the fish.

At some time after “organized religion” was washed out of me, some family friends came to visit. Their daughter Donna Jean and I were the same age but of ever more differing interests, making it harder and harder to know what to do during these occasional social get-togethers, and on this Sunday I said, “Why don’t we sew? We could make something.”

Donna Jean looked a combination of horrified and all-knowing while proclaiming, “Don’t you know that every stitch you take on a Sunday will be a stitch of pain before you die?” I must say that I didn’t know that…but not wanting to push her into doing something that she obviously felt was wrong (and apparently dangerous), I answered something like, “Yeah, oh, well, we don’t have to sew.”

My logical brain scoffed. I already had one foot planted in my father’s agnosticism and was secretly turning away from my mother’s Baptist church, and Donna Jean’s nonsense was laughable. Or was it? My mind raced. Had I sewn anything on a Sunday before?? I had. Yikes. Could Donna Jean’s proclamation be true?? Nah. But could I be sure?? Pain scared me. Building up a large cache of stitches of it that would have to be endured before death scared me not a little. We didn’t sew that day, nor did I sew on a Sunday for many, many years.

I’ve had pain now and then in the years since God’s ways were revealed to me by Donna Jean. Maybe I’m paying down the cache. Or maybe there’s a Christian equation that looks something like this:

(Life allotted) + (Sunday stitches sewn) – (Pain stitches experienced) = Time Remaining

Who knew God was a mathematician?
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A stitch of pain before you die??? What kind of twisted idea is that? Maybe if religions would re-tool to become more about living a life of love and tolerance, and less about silly rituals and superstitions, we'd be more inclined to fall in. (And by we, I mean those of us who find that sort of thing appalling.)

Anonymous said...

never heard that one..
btw.,
around the age of 13 i too gave up organized religion. that was around confirmation time.
anyways, whatever happened to
'a stitch in time saves nine'?
foam

Robin said...

They tried to raise me as a Southern Baptist. I remember the 'dunking tank' and painting praying hands in Bible school. I remember hypocrisy and back biting before the church split in two.

By the age of 8 I knew it wasn't for me. Regretfully, alot of the guilt they handed out stuck, and I fight with it to this day.

Kati said...

ROFL Yep. I remember maroon curtain behind the pulpit in the baptist church I grew up in. (Only, ours was poly-satin, not velvet.) What I didn't realize, until I got baptised, is that this is also the way the preacher snuck away immediately following all services, so he could avoid his congregation while his oldest son took care of the "shake hands & fellowship at the door" routine. The passage that led up this rickety stairway from the down-stairs class-room where we changed into our "white choir robes" for baptism, also had an exit that opened up right to the back door of the pastor's house, and he'd make his get-away promptly following the sermon every night, as his son closed the service down.

Unlike you, however, Mom & Dad are still such fervent believers that it took me till my teens before I caught on that something smelled fishy, and then into my early 20's before I quit trying to be the good little christian girl everybody expected me to be.

As for the saying of a stitch taken on sunday means a pain suffered later in life.... Yeah, I've heard that. I think it comes from the Puritain background of our country where doing anything but reading a bible or sitting in quiet prayer on a Sunday was forbidden and considered sinful. Yet another way organized religion attempts to keep control of folks. (Though, not exclusive to christianity, when you consider that in the trad. Jewish Sabbath it is forbidden to do any work on the sabbath, as well, and that includes driving and cooking for some of the most ardent followers.)

whimsical brainpan said...

You know what's funny, someone told me about that cartoon the other day.

I have never heard about the stitch on Sunday thing. How very odd...

DirkStar said...

Sheesh, that is just one more of the voodoo superstitions that so many Christians seem to weave so intricately into the fabric of their daily faith.

I just prefer to see what happens as it happens.

Its all superstition...

We live, we pass on and it is a natural ebb and flow of life's longing for itself.

Are you feeling better?

I have to admit that since I started the Insulin I'm feeling tons better.

ThursdayNext said...

I wish religions in general didnt instill irrational fears into followers...

Slip said...

This brings back memories for me. My dear departed mother felt that it was important we attended every Sunday. I got a perfect attendance pin with 7 add-ons for 8 years in a row! Little did she know that several of us would sneak out between church and Sunday school and head for the creek just down the road.

On Easter Sunday all dressed in our finest several of the boys slipped out and headed for the creek. It was running high with melt-off and ice floes. I lost one of my brand new Buster Browns and watched it float away on a floe. Mom was mad as a wet hen!

I have not been back to church much since.