Saturday, January 05, 2008

Funny what a difference a day can make. Got up this morning still with some leg pain, but not too bad. Turned the computer on and discovered a new visitor: Slip. Of course all of you "old" visitors warm my heart, but I was curious to see who this Slip person was. When I checked out his blog, it sure looked like he might be somebody I know (maybe even a friend or neighbor). Or not. Anyway, Slip's enthusiasm for life and the road ahead began to tickle a bunch of memories, and before I knew it, I'd written a blog piece. Here it is, and probably the first of a short series on building a home in The North Country.

Nearing Home

The seventies sound like a long time ago. The Vietnam War officially ended, Nixon resigned and four of his major Administration officials were found guilty in the Watergate cover-up case, by January of 1974 the oil embargo by several OPEC members had gas pumps running dry, and we were all wearing hip-hugging bell-bottom pants.

The America I grew up believing in unquestionably had changed, or maybe my eyes had been opened. I lived in a condominium in a city then, had remarried, and we spent our evenings poring over the United Farm Agency real estate catalog and geography books. My husband and I were convinced that the country was going to Hell, and that the one feasible hedge against that was to go “back to the land” and become self-sufficient.

In 1932, some forty years before us, Helen and Scott Nearing had gone “back to the land” on a homestead near Stratton Mountain in Vermont, built a low-cost house of stone, and raised their own organic food, attaining an attractive (to us) measure of self-sufficiency. We read their book, Living the Good Life, and took their story to heart. Another book, How to Build A Low-cost House of Stone, bolstered our belief that this was something we could do, and in the summer of 1974 we made our first feeble attempt at growing some vegetables in a small plot in my parents’ yard.

.

.
After leaving Peace Corps service in South America, two good friends had taken up dairy farming in The North Country of New York State. We had visited them several times, always awed by the space and quiet and clear skies. We helped in the barn, probably adding to their actual workload, and the smell of cow manure was sweet to our senses.

In early 1975, it was time to make the move. We set out from Rochester on a planned exploratory journey to northern New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, southern Maine, and finally Massachusetts. We never went beyond the first stop. Our hearts had already been won there, and after a small bit of rationalizing about the other planned destinations being “too far” or otherwise unsuitable, we rented an apartment in an old house in the county seat, a small town of less than 4000 residents.

We weren’t the only ones. As we gradually became acquainted with the area, we found a sizable group of like-minded folks, people from cities following the real estate catalog to a place where a young family could still manage to buy enough land to farm. We formed a social network we called “The Rural Life Association,” periodically meeting at one homestead or another for a potluck supper or picnic and the chance to trade stories and ideas. We were homesteaders; we were college graduates from middle-class America, turning away from the path many of our parents had worked hard to put us on. We were poor, and we were happy.


Next: Almost Farmers
.

11 comments:

DirkStar said...

See, don't you feel better now?

Go put some Ben Gay on your back and kick some gnomes around!

Tough love is always the best love.

CS said...

I have a vegetarian cookbook by Helen Nearing.

The life you are tlaking about appeals to me, and yet is not practical for someone in my profession. I need to be where people are.

Kati said...

Oooh!!! I'm glad Slip found you!!! I think the two of you will get along just dandily!!!!

Thanks for sharing this tidbit of how you came to be where you are!!!! It's very interesting to read the history of my blogger-buddies. Of course, I can't say as I've ever NOT enjoyed your blog-posts. *grin*

Robin said...

Keep going! Keep going! It was just gettin' good!

captain corky said...

Sadly, America isn't much different these days...

Judy said...

Dirk - I am being VERY good to my gnomes right now. They are feeding horses and cleaning stalls...

CS - I've seen Helen's cookbook, and it doesn't exactly make your mouth water! In "Living the Good Life" they describe lunch and dinner as being always the same. One was salad, the other soup, both made with what was in season or available from the larder. Maybe the cookbook was a way of earning some money, because it was my impression that she didn't cook very much.

Some folks in the Rural Life Association spent time living with the Nearings after their relocation to Maine. Scott was thought to be a more true believer than Helen. By the way, he lived to be 100 years old eating those vegetables.

Kati and Robin - Glad to hear you enjoyed the tale. There's more to come: I wrote another episode that will be published tomorrow.

Captain Corky - Actually it is a bit different: it's a lot worse. At least some of the Nixon administration paid a small price for their crimes, but this current bunch of America destroyers seem above the law, and in 1975 the earth still seemed to have a future.

meggie said...

Oh, I agree with your last comment on here. The wickedness of this current administration seems horrendous to me. I posted about this fact before & the wrath of the rabid 'Christians' came down upon me with full force.
I remember the 70's so well. Living in a small city in New Zealand, we had much more opportunity to live a more basic life, & most had the quarter acre dream of house & land, so gardens were a choice we could have!

Please do write more, this is very interesting!

Judy said...

Meggie - Regarding the current politics and some of the rabid Christians, Dirk has a good piece here.

..................... said...

we were poor, and we were happy....

to be cont. ....

right? you forgot the "to be continued part". say yes!

Judy said...

.........um........

Y E S


: )

Tomorrow...............

Robin said...

Thanks for what you said on my blog.

Thank you so much for what you say here and give me in the process....

~R