Friday, January 04, 2008

My Excuse

I often write of the beauty of the area in which I live. We still have space and woods and wildlife here, starry night skies unspoiled by city lights, relative peace and quiet. There is, however, a down side to "the North Country," and that is that we have very limited medical care.

There are several small hospitals that compete with each other rather than cooperate, and in their somewhat desperate efforts to survive, they struggle to attract competent medical personnel. In fact, these hospitals throw welcoming arms around some doctors who probably couldn't and shouldn't make a living in their chosen profession. Amidst the boneheads are a few dedicated and excellent doc's, but you have to know who's who.

The closest hospital recently expanded and now boasts bigger offices for it's staff and new operating suites. Paying for this depends in part on billing patients for surgeries performed, and so it was that one local orthopedic doc lost his hospital privileges: he wasn't doing enough surgery... A "new" orthopedic surgeon has replaced him.

I travel more than three hours (one way) to Burlington, Vermont, when I need medical care. Over the years that has saved me three organs and two unnecessary surgeries. A teaching hospital with plenty of patients doesn't have to ferret out patients to cut up. In most instances I feel that I've gotten excellent care there.

The down side of being 125 miles and a ferry-boat ride away from your doctor is the risk taken making the trip. A blizzard stopped me earlier this week, and there have been other times when it is no exageration to say I endangered my life driving to get there or back. Add to that the cost of a hotel if circumstances require more than a one-day stay.

On Halloween I did something to my back. For weeks I babied it and hoped for some healing, but by Thanksgiving it had only worsened. In addition, Husband hurt his back and was barely able to sit upright enough to drive. I gritted my teeth and somehow got myself to Burlington, had an x-ray and was referred to physical therapy (near home). That might have done it, but as I lowered myself into the bathtub for a soak, I sprained my hip. By now it was Christmas season, and doctors everywhere were on vacation.

Until early January I doctored by phone as best I could, convincing the on-call doc that she should prescribe the maximum pain meds and muscle-relaxants. My son-in-law drove me - lying flat in the back of his Subaru - to a chiropractor who eased the hip problem somewhat, but at times I sobbed in pain. Husband and I ate our meals lying on the living room floor, cooking as little as possible, me getting where I had to on crutches.

Eventually, time and rest improved things. I could walk again (albeit carefully), my doc returned from her Christmas holiday, and I made an appointment for last Tuesday. I was pretty certain I could manage the drive, but then the blizzard struck and the trip was off.

So to end this whine, Wednesday I was able to drive myself to Vermont. I stayed overnight in a motel, saw the doctor yesterday morning, then drove home. I'll be having an MRI close to home, and then will see what that shows. My toe is still numb, but the muscle spasms have stopped and I am comfortable (finally) sitting here at the computer.

If there's a point to all of this it is that I am feeling very far from inspired and creative right now. Even Wizards get the blues.

I hope to get out soon and take some photos. We're buried in beautiful snow right now, and I'm frustrated with being housebound. I did snap one on my way to Vermont: an Amish field of corn shocks (see below). Not a great photo (I took it from the car window), but a nice taste of our North Country winter.

Thanks to all of you who have stopped by and commented on my
(s)assy Christmas card. Your comments brightened my days, and I wish you all the best in the coming year. I'll be back. I'm just not sure how soon.




.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even a "bad photo" taken through the window is a good one when you take it?!

Pink Icing said...

A very happy and fullfilling 2008 my friend

Robin said...

That's no excuse, Wiz. That's a REASON.

Thought things might be difficult for you these days. That's why I've been sending good thoughts your way.

Love the snow covered 'beehives'. Thanks and here's to feeling better.....

ThursdayNext said...

I am so sorry that you are in pain and are feeling blue. I am sure you will be feeling better soon, dear Wizard. Thank you for sharing such a lovely photo...the metaphorical snow that covers you will melt soon.

Slip said...

Good thing to save those organs, you may need some of them later! Between your back, your hip, and the driving to get medical help it is a small wonder you post at all. Hope you feel better as spring is just around the corner!

Judy said...

Becky - Thanks, fellow traveler. I'll bet these shocks look familiar!

Tanie - Thank you for the well-wishes, and may 2008 be a good year for all of us sharing this planet.

Robin - Yup. I guess that's all a REASON. Think of you often and imagine the snow storms passing over you and then on to me. Stay warm!

Thursday Next - Always good to hear from you. I enjoyed the metaphor, and yes, it's melting. : )

Slip - Welcome! I'm wondering just how close a neighbor you are... I enjoyed a quick peruse of your blog. No doubt we can share some stories, and in fact, reading your latest post brought to mind a few "home building" tales yet to be told.

I think maybe I'm easing out of my funk!

Rick Rockhill said...

you know, my parents live in the North Country of New Hampshire...way up in Pittsburg.Its pretty remote there...and TONS of snow!

darkfoam said...

it's still a lovely photo even when taken through a window. i'm really, really sorry to hear about your back problems. my husband has had back issues.. they are NOT FUN! he was in such pain one day due to back pain. he called the doctor's office to get an appointment. the receptionist ended up hanging up on him because he started using certain words when his back went into spasms while he was on the phone with her.

whimsical brainpan said...

(((HUGS)))

Oh Wiz, I am so sorry. I hope you are better soon and able to get out and enjoy the beauty of the nature around you.

Until then take good care of yourself. You'll be in my thoughts.

DirkStar said...

Suck it up, blogger!

Remember the blogger's creed; No pain, no post.

Now get to that keyboard and make us proud.

Citymouse said...

i am spoiled when it comes to medical care, even in this little town, we have a hospital.. a poor one, but one non the less.

"sending good thoughts your way"

CS said...

I'm sorry you've been hurting. Take care of yourself!

meggie said...

So sorry to read you have been laid up! Nothing worse than back pain, I have to live with it constantly, & it is no fun.

Wonderful photo. Have never heard of 'Corn shocks'.

Anonymous said...

It WILL get better... it WILL get better... but your wisdom is evident in that you don't trust the local medical community to be the healers we need them to be.

Take care and get well soon.

Kati said...

Dang!!!!! What Becky said!!! about the pic!!!! That's a fabulous pic, ESP. taken from a vehical window.

And.... OUCH!!!! I'm so sorry to hear all the details of what you've been going through!!!! You said "back pain", I had no idea that this is how bad it truly has been!!!!!! I'm very, very sorry, and I hope your back (and hip!) heals very quickly from here on out!!!!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your mutual back issues. I have two serious old back injuries myself and have been barely staying upright for the last two months as well. I'm holding out till spring when I can get away for a day to Santa Fe to see if it can be resolved. Hang in there...I truly feel your pain. Carmon