Friday, October 12, 2007


The Tale of the .

............Photography Workshop...


..................(or, Why I am Up in This Tree)


I spent the first week of October at a digital photography workshop near Eagle Bay, NY in the Adirondack Mountains. It was taught by an R.I.T. photo prof. and his photographer wife, two great and greatly talented people. It was a wonderful opportunity.
.

.....................Covewood Main Lodge
.
As the teacher explained, the average digital camera has been configured to take pictures of smilin’ white folks at a picnic. It’s turned on and shot in the camera’s pre-set JPEG mode, auto-exposed and auto-focused by a tiny Japanese man (let's call him "Yoshihiko") who lives inside the camera. If you ask him to, the Yoshihiko in many cameras will take weather conditions into consideration: choose “sunshine” or “cloudy” or “incandescent lightbulb” (most often seen as tiny representative icons). He will - if asked - acknowledge the camera operator’s directive to shoot an “action shot” or in “macro (closeup) mode” – although the average digital camera user doesn’t want to be bothered with such variables and generally lets Yoshihiko just do his thing on full AUTO. Ditto the use of AutoFocus. Connect a wire between camera and computer, and the resultant image can then be attached to an email and sent to Cousin Minnie who didn’t make it to the picnic so she can laugh at everyone in the photo. All of this works and makes many, many people happy.
.

...................Part of Covewood's Dock on Big Moose Lake
.
I know some basics about photography, i.e. the fundamentals of exposure (Northern, ass, celluloid and image sensor). I understand the focal length/depth of field relationship. Many people have told me I have “a good eye.” There was a time some years ago when I knew how to choose my film camera’s exposure settings by looking at the available light in any given situation. (If you have a couple of minutes to waste, you can read about how I came to photography here.)

I confess that although I often manually focus, and I do usually control the shutter speed, I just as often let Yoshihiko do his thing. He is a pretty smart guy, after all. I use a tripod on occasion, almost always for indoor shots that require a long exposure because of low light levels. I have a “nice” tripod bought at the “nice” mall camera store, but not a particularly clever one capable of getting close to the ground.

Last week, all of this was about to change…
.
I arrived at the workshop, and the first thing I learned was that my “nice” tripod should probably go to the scrap-pile. I was loaned an older good one that had twice the weight and flexibility of my own. On the first day (when we were just turned loose to take shots around the beautiful old Adirondack great camp), I decided to do my usual thing sans tripod on the excuse that it would be my benchmark: the “old” way of doing things, to be compared to what I would be doing by week’s end. (Everyone else headed out with cameras mounted securely to their three-legged devices).

On Tuesday morning, armed with loaned Bogen tripod, I set out with ten others for a creek some miles away. We got there by car, then began walking up the creek, along the creek, and IN the creek. (Remember, I was using Husband’s camera because my own had gotten doused by a small container of soapy water and drowned Japanese beetles and was at Pentax Repair). The place was pretty: rocky with small waterfalls and the beautiful reds, yellows, greens and oranges of Adirondack autumn. Of course, the rocks were also slippery and the embankments steep, so I was clinging to camera and tripod with more than the normal paranoia. Yoshihiko stayed back at the lodge.

The previous evening, we had been lectured on using histograms to judge proper exposure (new to me; I had heard of histograms but had no knowledge of the why and how), and we were expected to manually focus and expose (full manual exposure being another thing I had not done previously with my digital camera). The Pentax manual packed in my bag turned out to be the camera software manual, not the actual camera instructions, adding another straw to the camel's back.
.
Before shooting, and as the light conditions changed, we needed to “custom white balance” our cameras with a white card instead of choosing “shade” or “cloudy” automatic settings (another procedure I knew the value of but not the mechanics…). To sum up, the game was to climb around the creek looking for a good subject, set up and level the tripod in the desired location (balancing its legs on slippery rocks, in water and mud), figure out all the camera settings, check white balance, be sure you were focused, fire the shutter, then check to see that the histogram was appropriately placed. My brain was on overload, and being the owner of ONE drowned Pentax, I was really nervous watching water flow between my feet.
.

........................... Tuesday's Best Shot
.
The other half of my workshop time – because for me, it did take almost half of my time and energy during the week – was computer technology. A new-to-me notebook computer, never-used camera software, a key drive that refused to save my files, a network configuration that wouldn’t accept the lodge’s wireless network when I tried to download a photo file converter (somehow the notebook wanted to talk to my office…), the unfamiliar organizing part of Adobe Photoshop Elements, and a program for converting RAW files to DNGs all fought me tooth and nail. It was embarrassing and totally stressful to be so mind-boggled by these things, and I had to use them. My teachers were incredibly patient as we spent the evening hours struggling with this stuff.

By Wednesday I was taking some decent photos. I spent an hour in one part of another leaf-strewn stream, and I am fairly pleased with the pictures. Technically I was making some progress, and although I was still nervously hanging onto the camera and tripod for fear of another water disaster, I was handling the custom white balancing, manually setting exposures and checking histograms, and generally enjoying myself.

On Thursday we traveled up Big Moose Lake by boat and then hiked and photographed everything Nature had to offer along the trail to Russian Lake. By late afternoon I reached the lean-to at the trail’s end, and then took some shots across and into the lake. I was about finished, and stood camera and tripod near the shore, watching another photographer work on a shot of some pine needles floating on the water. A fly landed on her subject, and I suggested that I go find a branch to chase it so she could take her shot. I turned my back on the camera for less than a minute… and during that minute, the one minute of the entire week that I was not carefully clinging to either camera or tripod, the leg of the tripod facing the water telescoped slowly into itself… and with a splash, my husband’s camera fell to it’s watery grave.

On Friday, I drove the soggy camera to Old Forge and FedEx-ed it to Pentax Repair before joining the others for lunch and a shoot of Ferd’s Bog. I was an observer.

On Saturday, the workshop over, I drove to Brown’s Tract Pond where we had scattered my parents’ ashes eight years ago. There were no campers or boaters anywhere near the lake; only a lone photographer (not from the workshop) stood on the shore where I had planned to launch my kayak.
.
I paddled to the island and climbed onto the flat rocks on its southern shore. For an hour I was alone with my memories. I sang "Scarlet Ribbons" for my father and then "Feels Like Home to Me" for my mother, and gradually the ache of loss - loss of camera, loss of childhood times, loss of beloved parents, loss of control, loss of sanity - lessened; lessened but was not ready to leave me.
.
Back in the kayak, I circled the island. An otter slipped silently from the rocks on the far side and disappeared into the water. A breeze was picking up and gray clouds were now blowing across the sky. Returning to the deserted shore, I put the kayak on the car and turned back onto the dirt road past the now closed State campground where I stopped to briefly visit our family's favorite campsite; then went on to Raquette Lake where I paused to pay my respects to the faded old general store where generations of campers and canoers have gotten their supplies. It was the last weekend of the "summer" season.
.
I drove the remaining two and a half hours north in silence.
.
At home, my husband greeted me warmly. The house was clean and he was preparing a wonderful dinner featuring quinoa-stuffed squash. I opened the notebook and began a slideshow of the week's photos, pouring out stories as he poured a fine bottle of shiraz.
.
After dinner the slideshow resumed... to the point of a photo taken at 4:38 PM on Thursday,
.

............................Just Before the Dive
.
and I said, "At that point, during the one instant of the entire week when I wasn't clinging worriedly to either the tripod or the camera strap, one leg of the tripod telescoped in, and your camera fell in the lake."
.
It is quiet and peaceful up here in the tree. I am watching the leaves change color and fall, and I am contemplating Fate.
.

19 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

Oh Wizard I'm so sorry.

Try and think of it this way; you are giving the good folks at Pentax Repair plenty of work (and maybe a giggle or two).

As much as it sucks you have to enjoy the irony. Well, maybe later...

Craig D said...

Uh, Wiz, as I'm sure your husband has explained to you, those camera don't just grow on trees, you know! So you might as well climb down.

It's been the same way for me with fatherhood.

If, in the course of a twelve-hour "Father-Daughter Day" I turn my back for a nano-second, that will be the nano-second during which Mariel will bump her head.

"Well," the wife will helpfully comment later, "you've got to watch her!"

Judy said...

Whim - I am more than a little touched that you, one of my "oldest" blogging buddies, came to my tree so quickly and so sympathetically. Thanks. And yeah, over time, it will all be laugh material. I'm recovering.

Craig - Ditto the above comment to Whim. I am doing a lot better. The irony of your comment is that a strange thing happened to me right after the camera took its dive: the fatefulness of the event jolted me back in time to my daughter's head injury. I found myself telling that story as we travelled back down Big Moose lake. There is no comparison as far as the magnitude of the two losses (the camera will be repaired, but the child would never be the same), but I was quite shaken by the realization, again, that Fate or whatever you choose to name it waits quietly in the wings and may enter your life when you least expect her to.

I did not include that piece of the experience in my blog story, but it was a significant factor in my current funk.

I did enjoy your comment, BTW.

Craig D said...

Um, I didn't knwo about that whole head-injury thing.

Um... glad you took my idiotic comment in the friendly, good-natured spirit in which it was offered.

darkfoam said...

oh yeah, just think ..
nest year this time you'll be laughing over this incident.
at least it was a pretty lake to fall into. :)

Judy said...

Craig - Not an idiotic comment at all, and in fact it gave me the chance to bring up what I meant by my earlier "learning some lessons about myself" comment. You consistently bring a smile to my face and brighten my blog (and other's) with your wit and good nature.

As for Mariel's head-bumps on your watch... Well, you've got to watch her!!! I say that as the parent who - after being suspected of child abuse when I arrived at the hospital with my unconscious child - returned her three months later with a huge goose egg lump on another part of her head. She tripped in the bathroom on the morning of the follow-up appointment and hit her head on the edge of the bath tub. And a year after that, we were back in the E.R. for stitches to her head because she fell down the stairs. And, damn it, I do think I'm a good parent!

Foam - Yes, I know I will. But will I be laughing about the $15 bottle of good olive oil I dropped in the Co-op parking lot this week? (Actually I'm already "laughing" about that because I'm choosing to believe that was the third calamity... If bad things do happen in threes, perhaps my camera gear will be safe now.

Linda G. said...

Covewood looks an absolutely wonderful place to these AZ eyes! Too bad about the camera though. Personally, I blame it all on the ##%** tripod.

When my son was about seven months old, he crept to an open window next to my daughters bed, pushing against the screen. It gave way, so that he fell about three feet striking his head on the patio below.
Later he struggled with learning disabilities and I have always thought that may have been the cause.
No matter how loving and careful we are, it seems to be Fate that decides whether our children reach a healthy adulthood.

Judy said...

Oh, She - You have said it exactly right: "No matter how loving and careful we are." I'm sorry to have another "sister" in this kind of impossible to understand piece of Life's experience, and yet, can your son be anything but lucky to be your child.

Kati said...

Oh no, Wiz!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the second camera!!!! What a way to end a weekend.

Sounds like a beautiful, bittersweet visit you had to your parent's "resting site". What a sweet, unconventional way to share your memories of them, though..... Singing to the wild, the songs they loved.

(((((HUGS))))) I hope your tree-sitting helps ground your emotions & allows you to come back to us more centered & settled.

Judy said...

Kati - As always, you give a warm and sweet sentiment, and (as always) I soak it in and appreciate your kind thoughts. Singing songs that were especially loved by them just felt like the right thing to do, though my voice cracked several times with the emotions that were so tangled up and strong.

By the time I returned to the kayak and circled the island, I had regained a slight smile, a smile of satisfaction that this place was as I remember it, that I would return to it, and that I would weather through the stress I was feeling - largely because of the resilience and ego that came from having two such exceptional parents.

I'm sorry to be absent from everyones' blogs lately. As you say, perhaps I will come back more centered, and to do that, I have to take some time to regroup.

Thanks for your comment, Kati. I hope all is well with you.

Anonymous said...

Whiz,
Your cameras may be soggy but those are repairable/replaceable. Just chaulk it up Murphy who was also there that weekend. It was his fault (who let that guy in anyway?). But it sounds like the knowledge you gained at the workshop was priceless and will stay with you always, as long as you have a love of photography, which I know that you do.

It was great meeting you at the pond that weekend and hearing your stories that you shared with me. They were warm and very touching. It was amazing to watch you paddle out on the pond to rekindle your old memories, which I'm sure were wonderful. You looked very peaceful and at home out there.

-the lone photographer at Brown's Tract Pond

Judy said...

Lone Photographer... As "Boor-bra" used to say on SNL, "I'm getting all verklempt!" Isn't life at its best and fullest when we allow ourselves to be honest with our emotions and the truths in our hearts...

Ours was a serendipitous meeting, two folks brought together by an appreciation of the natural world. We came to Brown's Tract Pond on different paths, and I am moved and delighted that we became acquainted.

I must add that someday I hope to approach your skill level with the camera. Thank you, friend, for your sweet words and for being there at the launch last Saturday. I look forward to being able to post one of your photos on my blog.

Good news (I suppose): I spoke with Pentax today and they quoted me $342 for the repair. I REFUSED TO AGREE TO IT. I told them they have two of my cameras, and that they should be nice and give me a "two-fer" deal... and then the Pentax gal said, "Well, I can give you a discount. How does $254 sound?" (!!!) Better, I thought, and agreed to the repair. It will take 4 - 6 weeks, so I think I'm going to buy some film and go back to using my old Minolta for awhile.

Hey, by the way, have you seen the movie "Calendar Girls" with Helen Mirren? Maybe we don't have to agree to disagree? LOL!!! So what does one have to do to schedule a shoot? (Private joke here, folks).

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your compliments on my work, Wiz. I'm glad that I have gained a fan (and a friend) in the north country, where I love to visit with my camera and show people what my mind's eye sees. I was moved and delighted to have met you that day as well, Wiz. I was particularly moved at how you opened up to me with your stories upon our meeting. I really appreciate meeting passionate, honest, and open folks such as you.

The discounted price doesn't sound bad for a total bath in the lake. I paid just a little less than that to have one of my camera sensors cleaned of dust because I didn't trust myself to do it (maybe I'm the one who got the bath, huh?). When I sent mine to the shop, I went into serious "photo withdrawl" without my beloved Nikon at my constant side to record how I see the world. To alleviate the symptoms, I went back to my trusty and reliable all-manual-all-the-time 35 mm and reminded myself what shooting slide film and waiting for the results was like.

I would be honored to do a shoot with you (Calendar Girl or otherwise) and show your heart and soul in one of my portraits. Since you love nature as much as I do, perhaps an outdoor or other natural setting would be aprops. Let me know and drop me a note when you're ready.

-the Lone Photographer

The Lone Beader® said...

Photography is actually a sport, didn't you know??

And, who is the Lone Photographer? I just HAVE to know... LOL.

Robin said...

Wiz....It sounds like your week was beautiful in some ways...heart-twinging in others...

I realize you went to learn (which is never bad) ....but your writing and your photography have always been magical and expressive.

Climb down out of that tree. You've always had what you were looking for~ except a dry camera.

I've missed you~

Robin

Voyager said...

I have this image of your Hubby chasing you up the tree.
When I got my digital camera last year I dutifully learned to interpret the histogram. Then I bought a book on photography where I read: "Forget the histogram. Turn it off."
Beautiful photos.
V.

Anonymous said...

I disagree. Don't turn off that histogram. It is your best friend. Keep the edges of the histgram from being chopped off on the left (underexposed with no detail in the shadows) or chopped off on the right (overexposed with blown out highlights), and you'll be in good shape. You will be glad you did. In-camera meters can lie and you can't judge exposure accurately using just the LCD screen.
-the Lone Photographer

Judy said...

Lone Beader - All we lack is the Lone Ranger!

Robin - Okay, I'm coming down, but I'm still a bit buried in "real" world responsibilities to be a good blog buddy. Like The Water People you photograph, after spending time in reverie, there are chores waiting to be done. I think of you and hope that all is peaceful on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Voyager - Husband didn't chase me up the tree. He was very supportive and reasonable about the whole camera fiasco. I just was overwhelmed by emotions and stress and needed to retreat, and what better place than up in a tree. As for histograms, I didn't find them difficult to comprehend, and I understand why using them to guage exposure is valuable. On the other hand, I have taken many good shots when I simply relied on my camera to do the calculating.

Lone Photog - Yes, as far as I understand it (and with the limited experience I had prior to drowning Camera #2) you seem to have explained it in a nutshell. Not having a digital camera at the moment hampers my ability to practice the new things I learned in the workshop, histograms being one of them.

meggie said...

Oh my heart broke as I read your story. Fate is a very strange thing.
We are told to be grateful for lessons such as these, & sometimes years later we can see the benefit of the lesson. But not always.