Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Who's the Bigger...?

(This is story #6 of my employment stories. For an introduction to these stories, click here. Other stories are below this post.)

We had a deal. They didn't waste my time; I did what I could to place their people: Probation and Parole respected that arrangement because their populations didn't have many good options, and I'd worked in the so-called "justice system" myself once upon a time, my heart a bit soft for people trying to climb out of holes.

Jack was the first parolee I placed, so he had to be a good gamble. Stick a customer with a guy with a criminal record and no desire to straighten out, and you'd never get the chance to do any future sticking. Jack's parole officer truly believed that what his "client" really needed was a chance to prove he was worth something, and so I hired him. There was only one customer willing to ride that horse with me, but all it took was one, and so Jack began gainful employment.

Three days later I was manning the front desk at the office. Myra was in an adjoining office interviewing a guy whose claim to fame was being a carnie; Jane was out of harm's way back in the accounting area. Suddenly there was the sound of the downstairs door banging and someone coming rapidly up the steps, stomping down the hall, and then our door burst open, presenting an obviously furious man of about 25.

"I want a job!" he yelled. "You gave my brother a job, and I need a job! You gave my brother a job, and he's a bigger crook than me!"

The guy was irate. He cussed me up and down, the gist of it being that I was an idiot for hiring his brother. If I understood his logic, I should have hired him, the lesser crook, instead - even though this was my first knowledge of his existence.

Meanwhile, the carnie in the next room rose to his feet and asked Myra if she wanted him to "take care of that guy out there." Somehow she managed to convince him to stay put, possibly helped by the fact that I jumped to my feet, drew up all of my 5'2" of red-haired height and started around the desk toward Mr. Wonderful, loudly proclaiming that when he had a parole officer who would vouch for his hirability, I would consider him, but until then, he had better get the hell out of my office.

Lucky for me he retreated, shouting obscenities all the way down the stairs, and the office settled back to relative peace and quiet.

Jack, by the way, was successful in the job and as far as I know has never been in any further trouble.
.

8 comments:

Citymouse said...

5'2 tall people seem to have guts -- are you a scorpio too?

Judy said...

Mouse - my mother always said I reminded her of a banty rooster...

I'm a Gemini, not a Scorpio, which means one of me can be brave and stupid while the other runs like hell!

Kati said...

ROFL Man.... That can get kinda scary!!!! Glad he was more bluster than bite!

meggie said...

I love reading these stories. Little slices of reality are much nicer than fiction, any day.

darkfoam said...

what a dork...
...and it's amazing how many men can be intimidated by short women when they mean business.

whimsical brainpan said...

LOL!

Even though you're just 5'2" I know you're a formidable woman Wizard. I can so picture you doing that.

Linda G. said...

Well, a red head! No wonder your firey nature surpassed your height! That's one time I would love to have been the fly on the wall!
Still loving your slice-of-life-stories...

Crabby said...

who knew there could be so much excitement at an employment office. LOL! That was great.