Sunday, September 16, 2007

Older Professions

(This is story #5 of my employment stories. For an introduction to these stories, click here. Other stories are below this post.)

The toughest day of the week was Friday. Others might chant “TGIF!” but I just tried to keep my nose to the grindstone and my shoulder to the wheel, plodding through the interviews so that they would be finished in time to get to the week’s lay-offs and firings before throwing together a late dinner. Saturdays and Sundays I’d be phoning potential hires, trying to make the placements that would begin working at 7 AM on Monday.

The State Job Service provided space for me to interview applicants. In the early days they also administered the tests required of electronics assemblers. I’d show up as they were concluding, look quickly at the test results, and begin interviewing. Eight was always the number scheduled, but there were usually as many walk-in referrals whom I would screen and then perhaps schedule for the next week’s test.

On one morning when I’d arrived well ahead of schedule, one such walk-in approached me. I invited her to the applicants’ chair before getting close enough to get a whiff of her. Bad body odor wasn't often the reason for not hiring someone, but it occasionally caused me to do a bit of pre-hire counselling, and occasionally there was a stinky worker – someone already hired who just didn’t bathe often enough or maybe couldn’t afford deoderant or perhaps simply didn’t have running water at home – and I’d have to have a talk with him or her about the problem. Those were never easy chats, but they could save an otherwise good prospect from being passed over, or keep an otherwise good worker from losing a job.

On this Friday, though, it was her breath that I could smell, and the smell was reminiscent of the old drunken roommate on the morning after: stale smoke and alcohol in a combination that was just downright nasty. And it was nine o’clock in the morning. She handed me a completed application, I gave a cursory interview then told her I would be in touch if it seemed she was the best qualified applicant for a job matching her skills. Dutiful, honest, legal, and at worst I had wasted ten minutes.

She rose and left, and I then turned to Sheila, the youngish Job Service clerk, and said, “Phew! A bit of alcohol on that one.” to which Sheila replied, “Oh yeah, she spends her mornings down at Campy’s Bar giving blow jobs to the old guys.” “EEEEeeewwwww!” I replied, “You mean that wasn’t alcohol on her breath?!?!”

Heaven help me, I thought, if I ever have a job opening for which she is the most qualified applicant. And if I did, what Worker’s Comp code would it be? What industry?? How would I determine the prevailing wage???

It was the beginning of a very long Friday.
.

12 comments:

CS said...

EEEEeeewww is right! Gads!

Citymouse said...

well, at least she was looking for a change!

Craig D said...

You didn't have an opening for a tester at the LISTERINE plant?

Anonymous said...

One day I hope you'll wind up in a bar sitting next to my dad. He did psychological testing for worker's comp at state institutions, including the state penn. You's both have interesting notes and stories to compare.

Kati said...

*groan* Oh, that's just nasty!!!! *wry laugh* Sorry you actually had to come into contact with her!

meggie said...

I don't suppose she liked what she did. I feel sorry for her, & no one has mentioned the men who happily used her.

darkfoam said...

ewwwwwww, poor thing. i wonder if she just had that kind of rep. and if it wasn't alcohol afterall.
and this surely is the last time i eat chips and salsa while reading a post.
or maybe i should quickly check to see if it is food safe.

Robin said...

Wiz...are these things you remember, or did you take notes back then? Your writing is so clear.... Just wondering, as if it matters...

whimsical brainpan said...

OMG! That is way beyond eeeeewwww territory!

DirkStar said...

Wouldn't you just pay her for lip service?

Tongue in cheek of course...

Did she have to pass an oral exam before she got to your interview?

Voyager said...

Oh. My. God. These stories just get more bizarre. I love them! Truth is truly stranger than fiction.
V.

Judy said...

Mouse - A change... or just different surroundings...?

Craig - Maybe an job in a chocolate factory would have caused her to see the folly in her ways?

DD - Oh, yeah, I think your dad and I would have a real story-swap!

Meggie - Foam makes a valid point. Who knows what made the clerk say what she said. The woman had been in close company with alcohol not long before she sat down next to me on a work-day morning, and if hired, would no doubt bring that same pattern to the job. In my heart of hearts I felt sorry for her, but I knew from plenty of experience that a job offer does not "cure" alcoholism. My "EEEEeeewww" comment was a wisecrack, humor being one way to brighten a pretty depressing situation.

Robin - Perhaps the reason these stories are clear in my memory is that most of them are hard to forget. They also have been told before: first to my husband, and at times to different co-workers. The re-telling has kept them sharp in my mind. Usually the re-telling is sparked by a new similar incident; the old, "This reminds me of the time I interviewed..."

Most of the thousands of interviews I conducted were unremarkable and, as such, have been forgotten. (I guess I should be thankful for that)!!!

Foam - Yes, I guess you could say she had a rep - the kind of rep a woman can get by spending mornings drinking with older guys in a sleazy bar. Who knows if there was any truth to the "details." Sorry to spoil your salsa...!

Dirk - LOL! Good ones!

Yes, Voyager, truth is stranger than fiction. Stay tuned...