Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Velveteen Rabbit

....."What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

....."Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

....."Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

....."Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful.

This morning in the woods, the Velveteen Rabbit crossed my path. I thought back to the little boy who had helped him to become real, and a lump came in my throat, for now the boy is grown and far away, and his toys are of a different kind.

I thought too of the parallel between the Velveteen Rabbit and the aging children who share this space: sometimes they, too, become real. The ones who do, do it gradually, first hiding behind carefully chosen identities, then slowly exposing themselves. I do not love them into reality like the little boy did, but they become real by the consistency of what they write and the messages they leave. They enrich and brighten my world.

You cannot truly love a fictional character, nor can you grieve the death of someone who is “pretend.” This week I learned that Lance, the blogger known to us as Baron Ectar, died very unexpectedly, and I am grieving that loss. He was a good person.
.
He was someone who had become real in this pretend world of blogging.



Thank you, Baron, for your thoughtfulness and your willingness to help. Thank you for the music you shared with us. Your introspection and striving to "get life right" were an inspiration.
.
May peace be with you and your family.
.
.
You may click here for the full text (with pictures) of The Velveteen Rabbit by Marjorie Williams.

15 comments:

Bardouble29 said...

I too am grieving. There are many people here in blog land that he touched by his words and thoughts. He can live on in our hearts and thoughts.

skinnylittleblonde said...

I beleive in what Bardouble said about the Mayans belief on Goodbyes....they are more like 'see ya laters.' I know energy does not disipate, but merely changes form.
Prayers, hope & faith that his family, especially his children, pull through this hard time.
P&L to you too, Wizened Wizard

Bardouble29 said...

Barons brother wrote a final blog on Baron's site if you would wish to visit it.

whimsical brainpan said...

I am so sorry that I never got to know him.

I would like to argue one thing (and this by no means makes light of your grief for your friend). You can indeed grieve for a fictional character. It may not be as deep or long as grief for a real person but it does happen (with me anyway).

The Lone Beader® said...

While Baron did leave a couple of comments on my blog, I didn't really get to know him. I wish I had.

And, Wizard, this post brought tears to my eyes. Thank U for sharing your thoughts and beautiful writing with the world.

Robin said...

Wiz...I am so sorry.

darkfoam said...

yes, i grieved for the loss of the baron even though we never blogged with each other. i always marveled at his comments on the miriad other blogs we had to common and thought that he truly must be a goodly, kindhearted man. we are not fictional but real despite some of our avatars. we become close to each other through words and the loss of that presence that we sometimes only know through words hurts..

Kati said...

While I didn't know the Baron very well (just by what I saw of him on other's blogs, and the once or twice I read his), and I'm not a christian, the only real response that comes to mind, reading your eulogy for him is....

Amen.

DirkStar said...

What a shocking loss...

I was in the midst of a terrible day when I read about the passing on em's page.

It sure put a lot of things in perspective.

singleton said...

The Velveteen Rabbit....
He was,is, a beautiful soul, and his words, thoughts, sharings touched so many....and that will grow and grow, is growing.....
Missing you, Man!
Hoping peace and comfort for his circle, his children, his world...
and ours....
Beautiful, Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

I had a brief aquaintance w/ Baron in blogland, but not enough to really know him.

I find it interesting that you say that one cannot truly grieve a fictional character, but I would beg to differ:

The first "chapter book" my son read all on his own was Charolotte's Web (long before the movie was out).
When it got to the end, and Charolotte died, he came downstairs in a mopey fashion with tears in his eyes. He needed closure, so we made a little gravestone, wrote her name on it, and the last line from the book on it for an epitaph.
I know that was a day I'll not soon forget!

PS- Thanks for your mention of the Velveteen Rabbit: it was a dear book to me in my childhood!

anony mouse? muse? said...

This is so sad.

tundraboy said...

Any more details available?...I could not locate a published/on-line obit in KCMo? This is just too sad. :(

Bardouble29 said...

I need to correct my mistake, I thought Baron's brother wrote the final blog, but someone else did...didn't mean to mislead.

DNR said...

Wizened One – I am so sorry for your loss. And I am sorry I never knew the man.
God’s peace be with you Wizard.