Monday, April 16, 2007

Lunch Bunch

I've been feeling haikuish lately. Maybe it's my keen sense of the unrest this awkward season change is generating. Maybe it's just that I'm lazy.

The goldfinches are morphing from winter brown to summer yellow. Each day you can see the progress, but clay-colored feathers still predominate. Daffodils spear their way up through the leaf cover at the edge of the woods, but, like the goldfinches, keep us in suspense. I fried eggs yesterday morning just to enjoy something warm and sun-colored.

Here are my feathered friends at the Niger Café (click on the photo for a better look), and below them, two poems.



black thistle diners
winter coats patched with yellow

birds of a feather


and

taupe duds now blasé
runway girls strut in yellow

finches not so sure

.

8 comments:

Bardouble29 said...

Awww, your photos make me want to move out there. I get so tired of city life and hustle-bustle.

I grew up in Oregon, way out in the middle of nowhere...I miss it.

Crabby said...

I miss my goldfinches. I used to have tons of them. Now we have dozens of red birds and blue birds. I have owls and hawks. Lots of hummers during summer months. Rare to see the goldfinch. No idea why.

whimsical brainpan said...

Thank you for the lovely pic! I like it when you are feeling haikuish because we get to reap the benifits. I adore the second haiku. The comparison beetween the birds and models is great!

Judy said...

Every day I receive new poems from Shaman, many of them haiku. From her I have come to understand that there is so much more to writing good haiku than just tapping out the 5-7-5 three line rhythm. (I haven't mastered it by any stretch of my imagination, but exposure to her writing has improved mine a little).

I'm glad you are enjoying them, Whim.

By the way, I can see a very yellow goldfinch from where I am sitting. They are practically changing color before my eyes, something I have never before been fortunate enough to observe. They must like the offerings at my feeders.

Em said...

What a perfect photo...three little hungry birds on each side.

And you feel "haikuish"?? I do believe you have created a new word! :)

Robin said...

Wiz...this is one thing among many that I envy about where you live. Unless you count feeding the pigeons, feeding birds in the city isn't easy. I had a huge porch at my last, long-lived-in apartment and fed them there. This was at the height of the bird flu 'scare' and a neighbor complained that I might be endangering her sweet (not so much) three year old.

A following apartment gave us a backyard space behind an old highrise. Problem was, what the birds liked, the rats liked. Now I live in a place that states in your lease that you MAY NOT FEED ANY WILDLIFE.

Someday, maybe.

Anonymous said...

maybe i ought to take up feeding the birds...
we do get a diversity of birds. haven't seen any goldfinches though. perhaps i haven't looked close enough.


foam

Pepper said...

I love your background.

I am trying to take pictures of birds but they are not as beautiful as the ones you take. Beautiful post.