Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Thinking Blogger

There are a lot of blogging awards floating around out there, some quite noteworthy because they come from sites that make it their business to peruse and evaluate blogs; others are often the work of pals bestowing compliments on pals. At the risk of pissing off those “noteworthy” evaluators (and forever squashing my chances of winning a “Blog of the Day Award”), let me say that the second category – pals bestowing compliments on pals – is the better kind to receive.

A few days ago I was honored to receive a “Thinking Blogger” award from
Robin. She of course had been a prior recipient and was paying it forward. I have come to know Robin through her blog as a sensitive, passionate person, someone very concerned for the environment and the natural world. This is a woman who sleeps with her curtains drawn back so that she can see the stars, and her window open so she can hear the waves on Lake Michigan. I am proud to be in her company, and she does make me think about the things that really matter.

But here’s my problem. As a Thinking Blogger recipient, I’m now supposed to bestow that award upon five other appropriate bloggers, and as you might expect a Thinking Blogger to do, I’m really doing a lot of thinking about whom I should tap.

The basic instructions are these: If, and only if, you get tagged, you're supposed to write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think. Tag blogs with real merits, i.e. relative content, and above all - blogs that really get you thinking! Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote.

My blogging community contains many wise and thoughtful folks, but they’ve already been given the award. Okay,
Dirk hasn’t gotten one, but is Dirk the embodiment of the Thinking Blogger? He’s funnier than hell, writes wonderfully, and is always interesting, but in the strictest sense, is someone wearing a flag top-hat appropriate? (Anyway, he has so many awards that I don’t think there’s any room left on his trophy shelf).

Whim already has one. Craig D is really funny and an all-around good guy, but all of those knock-off record label posts didn’t exactly elevate him to rocket scientist inspirational level. Crabby would describe herself as an anti-Mensa kind of gal, so that's not the place to hang up a Thinking Blogger banner (although she certainly is thinking of mischief all the time). And then there are all the artists: Lone Beader, Life at Star’s Rest, The Wild Inside, Foam... And there is my answer... I will choose not to continue the "Thinking Blogger" awards.

Instead, I would like to recognize five outstanding artists. Karan has told me that she is excited to get back to “work” because she’s overflowing with ideas and creative energy. Carmon at Star’s Rest works her knowledge and love of horses into beautiful silver pieces. On the other side of the country, The Lone Beader thinks up miniature masterpieces and creates them with thousands of tiny beads. Foam teaches art and inspires all of us to think about the things that give life its richness and flavor, to see things more clearly. Yes, these are the bloggers I will honor with my version of the Thinking Blogger award.

These, and one other. I invite you to visit my secret site, the place where I try to enhance the wonderful poetry of Shaman with an occasional photo or two. She is also an artist (a sculptor), but this blog is dedicated to her poems. She is not seeking a blogging community, and I very much doubt that she would want a Thinking Blogger award, but she definitely gets me thinking and inspires me. And that makes five.

I'm betting that this isn't what the originator of The Thinking Blogger had in mind, so let's call it


.
The Wizard's Hat Award.
.
..
.
These five women interest and inspire me, and I know that their creative energies are helped by the booster rockets of wisdom and thought. Hats off to Foam, Beader, Wild Inside, Carmon and Shaman! And ladies, you don't have to pay this forward unless the spirit moves you to do so (because it's awfully hard to single out just five of your friends while passing over the others).
.

21 comments:

DNR said...

Cool thought Wiz! Now I have 5 blogs to read through this evening.

Congratulations to all!!

Zen Wizard said...

Just came by to leave a "shout out."

Black-Eyed Peas out...

Robin said...

VERY cool idea Wizend! The world would be dead without artists (and gay men, but I digress). Neat, neat way to spread the love.

russkal said...

You're right. Among all the blog awards out there, it feels great to receive one that's bestowed upon you by your peers.

That's why i am hanging on to my Eddie for life!

i ahve been blogging really slow, lately, checking up on our friends one blog at a time. i hope to visit the blogs you just mentioned soon...

Craig D said...

I certainly can't argue with either your criteria or your choices.

(Curses. Once again, I've been done in by my love of schlock! Now if it had only been a dunce cap instead of a wizard's hat..?)

darkfoam said...

First of all let me tell you, wizard, that as I started reading your blog and looking forward to see who you chose as the thinking bloggers i was marveling about how well you write. I've always enjoyed how you write and indeed consider myself lucky to be blogging with good writers. As a person to whom writing does not always come easy I consider myself lucky that folks actually come over to read my stuff. On that note, I have to say that I was really really touched and honored to receive this award......The Wizards Hat Award....wow! From one artist to another and a kindred spirit....
thanks!
Let me tell you that I do absolutely love your "secret site".
It is so peaceful and meditative there. I've never left a comment, but shaman is a wonderful poet and you, of course, are a great photographer. ..and your sidebar...cool.
xo

whimsical brainpan said...

Congratulations!

The Lone Beader does some great work and I'm just starting to get to know Foam. I'll have to check the otuers out.

Em said...

You handled this in such a wonderful way. Five folks that I can't wait to visit...and isn't that really what these awards are all about...shining a light on people who really touch us with their blogs. I've never visited any of those five sites before, but I love your sight so much that your recommendations hold high value.

The Lone Beader® said...

I will wear my wizard's hat proudly=:)

DirkStar said...

No! I want the award! I'm not just funny.

I'm needy and alone...


Are you ready for today's adventure?

Alrighty then,please extinguish all smoking gnomes and return your karma to an upright position.


Now, off we go into the wild blue yonder...

The Wild Inside said...

Ooooooh, ooooooh!! My very first Blogger Award!! You are so right, kudos from friends seem to mean so much more than those from the masses. Just last week I got a short note from one of the women in my Artisan Guild who said she really enjoyed my blog, looked it up every day hoping for something new. Couldn't say why she enjoyed it, she just did. Touched me to the core. This is a woman who makes the most incredibly beautiful Adirondack pack baskets (and baskets in general). It truly means so much more when a fellow lover of things artfully done sends praise. I was surprised, delighted and warmly .. stirred .. by your tribute and award. Thank you so very much.

Oh, and I adore the Wizard's Hat!! Can I put it on my blog .. huh, huh, can I??

Judy said...

Karen - Yes, you certainly may put the Wizard's Hat Award on your blog! I would be delighted to see it there.

DirkStar said...

What,you didn't like the Bockscar Willie Pun?

H-m-m-p-h.

At least my hat does not slouch...

Or have turkey feathers dangling from it.

Course, knowing you and your evil band of gnomes as I do should I say grouse feathers?

Too good for an award, why I never heard of such a thing...

Do you know how many hours it took for me to come up with the bockscar pun alone?

Judy said...

The question (regarding the Wizard's Hat Award) is just exactly what is is for? It needs just the right explanatory phrase...

Recognizing Creative Excellence

or

For Creative Passion Unleashed

or

Artists Recognizing Artistry

The last one appeals to me. I have to hit the road today, and much of tomorrow will be spent visiting Shaman, so I will think on this. Suggestions welcomed!

Unknown said...

Oh my I don't even know what to say! I have been in such admiration of your ability to tell a story, and your skill with photography is something I aspire to. To receive such praise from someone whose own creativey I respect so much is truly touching. Now just how do I put that wizard hat on my blog??? I am truly ignorant of these things...Carmon

Judy said...

Carmon - I think you will have to save the photo to your computer, then add it to your site. It is a jpeg. Must run to town now (and I'm running late), so sorry I can't be more helpful. Later - Wiz

Unknown said...

Figured it out...thanks! Hope it's a good day. Carmon

DirkStar said...

but is Dirk the embodiment of the Thinking Blogger?

What, am I not all of your qualities rolled up into one giant bundle of worthiness?

Ive been cheated...

Ha, did you see my thinking blog award?

Justice has been served!

DirkStar said...

Have you considered:

For “Enthusiastically articulating Eddies?” I think it gives a certain air of sophistication to an otherwise rather bland and stepped upon looking hat.

Did you pick that hat up off the highway?

I mean really...

No one gives out unwashed laundry as an award.

Let an artistically enlightened thinker help you with that.

The Wild Inside said...

Don't know if any of the Wizard's Hat Award winners are interested, but I snagged the graphic for the hat, viewed Wizard's source code for the correct font information, and labeled the hat graphic beneath it. I saved the whole thing as a .jpg. I'd be happy to pass it on to anyone who wants it.

The Lone Beader® said...

Poor Dirk. I think his feelings are hurt=:( You should make up a special award just for him. LOL.