Saturday, February 10, 2007

Need

For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to perform. As a kid, my love of horses took me to rodeos and horse shows, and maybe because I was female and females had pretty limited career paths in the middle of the last century, I aspired to be a trick-rider in the rodeo. (When Ringling Brothers came to town I also wondered how I might become the bareback rider in the circus).

I painted and drew pictures too, almost always of horses and cowboys, and early in my grade-school years was recommended for Saturday art lessons at the city art museum, but my parents and I both decided that Saturday’s hours were better spent outdoors. My classmate who did attend the museum classes became a successful painter.

My mother thought to correct my pigeon-toes – and maybe derail my tom-boy leanings – by enrolling me in dancing lessons. I took tap, ballet, “modern jazz”, and acrobatic for years, and they put me on the stage for the first time. The excitement of costumes, bright lights and applause fanned the fire deep within me.

Cowboys played guitars, so I managed to get one on loan and talked my mother into paying for lessons, then convinced my dancing teacher to let me perform a couple of numbers during the intermission of a dance recital. I was probably the oldest dancer in the recital that night, and although I still enjoyed tapping around the stage, the singing was what I would remember. The songs I chose were “Tall Paul” (which had been a hit by every girl’s favorite Mouseketeer, Annette Funicello) and a G-Em-C-D7 tune (you musicians recognize that as the chord progression used in about half of all early rock’n’roll “hits”) called “Hand in Hand.” No doubt I was awful, but I sang and played my heart out...and people applauded.

There was another music genre rising in the 1950s. The Kingston Trio took “folk” music in a new direction, their acoustic instruments and voices speaking to me in a more meaningful way than the dance music that was rock’n’roll or the traditional (and boring) subject matter of “Go Tell Aunt Rhody” or “Frog Went a-Courting” (everyone’s first guitar songs), then one Saturday morning in 1962 a friend came to my house with an album entitled “Peter, Paul & Mary.” The hair on my arms rose as I listened, and on that day, unrecognized passions stored deep within me found a voice. By the next day I had learned every song on the record, and although I never thought about it, my rodeo or bareback riding career was a thing of the past. I have been a “folksinger” ever since.

So many things I’ve done have been for an audience of one kind or another: acting in a play or musical, displaying a photograph, doing a dramatic public reading of one of my husband’s poems; and now I’m blogging.


The need to create is a driving passion, an often urgent, aching need to express thoughts and emotions. It is a longing for connection, for the sharing of these passions with another human being. For me it is undoubtedly wrapped in complex, insecure egocentricity. My words, my photographs, the songs I sing and the roles I play give expression to an internal energy that aches to be released and recognized. I don’t fully understand why, and I have no choice: I am an artist.


9 comments:

Em said...

As I read your words, it is clear that you express your artistic style with your writing. You are a gifted writer.

It seems that the desire to create is such a powerful need. You have always found a way - through music, performance, reading aloud, writing. I applaud your never-ending search for a creative outlet that pleases you. I'm glad some of that is shared in your blog. I enjoy reading your words.

Bardouble29 said...

I can honestly tell you that your gifts of creativity touch me, I appreciate you sharing your writing talents with us.

There is healing in your words weither I read them in a thoughtful comment on mine or someone elses post, or the delightful pictures you post. Or the touching, inspiring stories written.

I grew up acting in every play I could get a part in. I took dance classes. I have learned different arts. In high school I wrote, it was writing that stemmed from the hurt in my life, it was kinda of dark, but it was a release for me Writing is still my passion, but I have so little time to write. I really want to get back into it. Today I feel inspired to just take some time this afternoon to take a pencil and paper and see what happens.

Kati said...

I'm another of your appreciative readers. As long as you write (and I've a computer on which to read), I'll read!

Must say, though, I don't envy you the spotlight. At one point I wanted to be an actress & singer, but I've always been much too shy. Still would love to be able to sing some of the soaring tunes I hear (esp. in celtic style), but I realize now that I want this for MY enjoyement, not for the enjoyement of others. _I_ want to hear my voice soaring to hit those highs, and sweeping for the lows.

But, for those of you who love the performing for the sake of the audience, those of us not cut out to perform THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

So very well said. Being an artist was not something considered appropriate in my family so I had to fight to educate myself and create a career. It was many years before I could say 'I am an artist.' with pride instead of some hidden note of apology. Carmon

..................... said...

I am glad you are an artist. I am glad you are 'egocentric' enough to want to share..:) And it's something that I can really relate to.
During the early 70s it was the discovery of Leonard Cohen that did it for me.
I enjoyed all your posts below. I spent that last few days catching up on them and left a comment on each of them I believe.

Max and Me said...

yes you are an artist and we are grateful you share yourself with us! i have always wanted to perform but i am too introverted and shy. seeing the movie fame as a kid made me so wistful. but for now i hide in my writing.

whimsical brainpan said...

I think we are very lucky that you feel that need so strongly. It brings me great joy.

Craig D said...

On that guitar thing...

An accountant I used to work with called me up a few weeks back. He had bought himself a guitar and had been teaching himself how to play. He wnated to "get together sometime" with the hope that I could give him some pointers.

He came by with his guitar about a week ago. Man! He taught himself to actually READ MUSIC and guitar tabs. He knew the "circle of fifths" and was even pretty proficient at making barre chords.

He was stumped, though, as to how to play along with a record (oops - I mean CD!)

He brought a copy of The Eagles' "Hotel California" and asked me what the guy was doing. I'm not a big fan of this song, but I kinda latched on that it started in Bm and worked its was down the neck.

He was falbbergassed! "How'd you figure that out so quickly?"

All I could tell him is that it helps to be a very unpopular teenager with nothing but time on your hands.

I wonder how much that is true for everyone who paints or writes or makes music, etc?

Judy said...

Em - Thank you so much for your kind words. In addition to the "need" to pour out some of my soul creatively, there is also the fun and sheer joy of performance of one kind or another. I am glad you enjoy reading my words, for writing them is a true pleasure.

Bardouble - Your comment touches me, and I can see that we share this love/need. I hope that you will find more time to write.

Kati - Thank heavens for the audience!!! What would we show-offs do if there weren't "shy people" to clap?!? Keep singing - those celtic songs are wonderful.

Carmon - Thank you. We are always defined by the things we do. For me, that definition was "a mother" by the time I was 23. I became a "business woman" some years later. It is only recently that I have enjoyed some limited success as a photographer and some recognition from IRL friends and blogging acquaintances as a writer. The day before writing this blog piece, I was meeting with a banker who has seen some of my photographs. She referred to me as an artist, and I felt such a sense of pride and accomplishment! It was hearing somebody else say it that sparked this blog entry.

Shaumi - And you are an artist, so I think that's some of why we enjoy "visiting" each other. Thank you for all of your thoughtful comments.

Meander - Don't hide too deeply! Your passion poem is wonderful and I thank YOU for it.

Whim - May your joy flourish. ---- I just checked my dictionary to see if I spelled "flourish" correctly, and found the meaning there to be: to grow luxuriantly. Ooooh! That sounds even better than flourish. May your joy (in all things even beyond my meagre offerings) grow luxuriantly!

Craig D - Actually, Craig, I'm just such an unpopular ADULT that I have time on my hands. ; )

I can barely read music and learned everything I sing by listening and then just doing it. I suppose that anyone could become a musician by learning the mechanics of note reading (in fact I suppose that's how most "real" musicians do it), but you also have to have the ear, or all the technical skill in the world will still leave you a bit flat.

The same is true of photography. Without a good eye, all the camera knowledge in the world won't get you great photos.

I think the difference between an artist, and a person who paints or sings or dances or plays an instrument is some special ability coupled with the passion to express it... and a measure of learned how-to.