Tuesday, February 13, 2007

From the Playground

Shaman's words float into the forest, fall like snowflakes, and pile up on my computer in a lovely drift. Often they are the inspiration for a photograph, a pleasant prod that causes me to don my barn parka (because it's big enough for the camera to fit under) and skis or snowshoes and go off in search of something that will reflect or illustrate her poetic creation. It's a game we're playing. Our playground is a secret blog known only to us, where her words and my images mingle and balance, teeter-tottering together.

Crows have been scarce lately. "The King's Trees" has been hanging around my desk for a couple of weeks, waiting for me to get a shot at their "black and primal selves," and then, yesterday morning they finally heard their cue.


.
The King's Trees

One crow
rests
on top of an oak tree,
another crow
sits, alert too,
on the neighbor tree,
a maple.
Comfortable,
on the highest branches
their outstretched heads,
with penetrating eyes
focus
on whatever suits
their black and primal selves.

Or maybe,
they are simply half asleep,
each humming a favorite tune.
As I used to do
as a child
who climbed and sat
in beautiful trees,
feeling
like the king.

By Becky Harblin © copyright 2007

.
.

7 comments:

Crabby said...

oooooooo. Thank you, wise one. I'm using this pic as my new wallpaper. Awesome!

I have a hawk that hangs around my deck. I'll try and snap a shot for you next time he comes by.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this poem and how such a simple picture of nature can be so inspiring. I especially enjoy the 2nd stanza which you take us to your childhood - it is a beautiful transition.

I too would like to post some of my work but am a little wary about it. Did you add the copyright for legal reasons? Would you suggest that I do the same for my work?

Anyway, great reading your blog!

..................... said...

oh, to be able to perch steadfastly on such lofty limbs...
how wondrous that would be...
if it weren't for my
friggin' fear of heights thingy

lovely poem, wizard, and great photo.

Bardouble29 said...

Oh the joy of being a child and enjoying the beauty of nature and of being innocent.

The picture is simple, yet beautiful!

whimsical brainpan said...

What a wonderful pic Wizard and it fits the poem perfectly. Another great post! Thank you.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Judy said...

Haint - Your bathroom is going to look soooo nice in blue and black!

Echo - Copyrighting work is no guarantee of securing it, but it's probably the best you can do. I do it because I am showing my work and offering it for sale (only two sales so far, but you can't very well ask someone to pay for something that others can just take for free). I put a copyright on Becky's poem because it is hers (and I am using it here with her permission), and we are talking about the possibility of a book. It's probably just talk, but her poems are so wonderful and they pair well with my photos. By the way, thanks for stopping by.

Shaumi - First we must learn to fly...!

Bardouble - Welcome back again. Yes, Becky captured that feeling of childhood. The photo pairs well with the first stanza, but it is too harsh/stark for the end of her poem. On our "playgound" site, I allow a good deal of blank space around each to soften the combination.

Whim - And Happy Valentine's Day to you too! I've been to your site so many times this week... pontificating while others try to comfort... my strident way, my rational response... when perhaps a simple "I'm so sorry" would be best.

whimsical brainpan said...

Aw Wizard I know you are. You don't even have to say it. {{{hugs}}}