Sunday, January 28, 2007


Woodstove Cookery

Women used to prepare all of their family's meals on and in "wood cookstoves". My grandmother used one, but - like every other woman of her generation - happily switched to the new-fangled coal, then gas and finally electric counterpart as they became available.

In the stove pictured here, the larger white door is the oven; the smaller one a second oven; the lower left-hand door is the firebox. There was a water reservoir (seen here on the right side of the stove). The compartment above the stove was for storage and for keeping things warm. Bread might have been placed up there to rise.

The cast iron top of the average kitchen stove had six "burners", varying in heat level by where they were located relative to the fire burning below them or the path by which smoke and heat exit to the chimney pipe. (You've all heard of putting it on the back burner - the cooler place where things simmer rather than boil). The chimney pipe doesn't show in this picture, but it would connect to the back of the stove just above the level of the burner top.

There is something romantic and wonderful about having a wood cookstove. Their heat is even, they warm the house as well as the food, and you feel connected to the generations of women before your time for whom this appliance was "modern". On the down-side, cookstoves take up a lot of space, eat a lot of finely split wood, and the dirt and bark bits falling off that wood constantly litter your kitchen. This appliance becomes damnable in the heat of summer.

I don't have a cookstove, but my house is heated by a woodstove (pictured in the previous post), and I can cook just about anything on top of it. The heat is even, and by placing a pan either directly on it's flat top or on one of three trivets of varying height, I can vary the cooking temperature. Like the old cookstove, the front of my stove is hotter than the rear. An oven is created by placing a large kettle upside-down over the pot and trivet, or by creating an aluminum foil tent of suitable size and shape to cover what you want to bake. I favor cast iron frying pans, and they are right at home on the woodstove top; the tea kettle boils quickly on a cold winter day.

One January several years ago we experienced The Great Ice Storm of '98 that left us without power for nearly two weeks. When power crews finally restored our electricity, we chose to leave it off. A friend had joined us, and we were just sitting down to our woodstove-cooked meal by candlelight: Mediterranean halibut, humus, tabouli and a salad. I had even baked brownies to enjoy with the ice cream from its frozen place on the front porch.

These last two photos are of that meal, a meal that was delicious and still the source of a warm memory.

11 comments:

Robin said...

Very cool, Wizend. I assume that because of the woodstove you were able to stay in your house because of the stove? What a neat meal that must have been.

The Lone Beader® said...

That meal sounds good! Can you make some halibut for me?? =:)

Bardouble29 said...

Brings back memories of growing up in Oregon. We had a big pot bellied woodstove. We frequently cooked a pot of beans or stew on it.

RW said...

My Parents had a stove just like that in the kitchen I remmeber it well, it my job to keep the wood box full! lol that food looks real good1

Craig D said...

Ah, those scenes in the Waltons' kitchen! Their stove was much like the one you pictured, with the same features.

My wife & I are waiting for delivery of the Waltons, Season 4 box set, BTW...

..................... said...

a great aunt of mine in germany must have had one of those coal stoves. as a child i remember her opening up a side coal door to put coals in.
then i remember that one year it was just gone replaced by a modern 60s stove.
this reminds me also of what my great aunt called her 'wash kitchen'. this is where the laundry was done. i remember that old washing machine. it didn't have a spin cycle though. so the wash was taken out sopping wet and put through the wringer before it was hung up. ..and then one year that laundry machine was gone as well as the wringer. but clothes were hung for years and years.
btw i love tabouli and humus. don't recall if i ever had halibut though.

Mr. Ghost said...

Showing my age here, we had a wood cook stove until I was in 3rd grade ('56). It wasn't fancy like your picture. I remember hot August days with the stove roaring to make the canner boil for vegetables and blackberry jelly. Kitchen was a real sweatshop. Love it, good memories...

whimsical brainpan said...

That is awesome Wizard! I love how you improvised an oven. It makes me wish I still lived in a house with a wood stove so I could try it.

Judy said...

Glad to bring back memories for some, and to give others a peek into a less familiar world.

To make the halibut, simply "bread" the fish pieces in a mixture of sesame and fennel seeds (much more sesame than fennel), a bit of cumin and a dash of corriander, and pan fry (flipping once) in a little bit of olive oil or a mix of butter and olive oil. Don't overcook. This whole meal is so good if you have fresh tomatoes (humus loves tomatoes). The lemon juice in the tabouli compliments the fish. I haven't tried it, but I'll bet tofu slices would work okay instead of fish.

Wish I could have you all here for a dinner!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm....I've had cast iron trivets on back order since Christmas. Now I know where all the trivets are! Carmon

Pepper said...

I had a wood stove. I loved it. The only thing bad about it was the wood chip mess on the floor but it was worth it.