Friday, January 26, 2007

Life at
-10

It's cold again this morning. The car groaned a very slow "don'-wanna-go, don'-wanna-go, don'-wanna-go" before firing, then made engine noises anticipatory of metal parts cracking and shattering. Leather seats will no doubt be stiff for the first couple of miles, but eventually the seat heaters will do their work, and by the time Husband reaches town, life in the car won't be too bad.

Barn work is easier in this weather: shit freezes and can be more easily scooped up with my horsie litter scoop. Winter barn chores are always dangerous, since a fall or injury outside means death by freezing before anyone would even miss me. Today will be more dangerous than usual - or maybe I should think of death having the potential to happen more quickly.

I consider the many Amish families living in the North Country. They lack the luxury of seat heaters, but their barns - unlike mine - will no doubt be warmed by the animals within. They are good-natured folk on a first-name basis with weather.

I will fill the woodstove often today. The colder it is outdoors, the hotter the stove burns. Colder air causes the chimney to draw, fanning the flames. Our house is oriented to the sun - which is just up - and soon it will be toasty inside these walls. Tonight's dinner will be made on this black appliance too, not because I have to use it, but because I like to.


.
The birds at the feeders (bluejays, chickadees, juncos, woodpeckers, goldfinches mostly) have frost on their backs and heads. I have never noticed this before. Could they be sweating?? They're certainly puffing out their feathers to keep warm.


.
It's a day for wool sox (probably for long underwear too, but I didn't put it on). My double wool mittens are my fingers' friends. I'll smile as I take the soapstone warmers off the stove shelf and place them inside my boots: a simple solution to a basic problem.

Do you sense how much I like this day? It is so quiet here. Can you appreciate the beauty of sun throwing long tree-shadows across the frozen pond? Tracks in the snow tell their stories; earlier daylight reminds me to savor this icy stillness because it will soon give way to mud season. Steaming coffee soothes rather than stimulates.

My life is blessed.

ADDENDUM (after going to the barn): HOLY HEAT EXCHANGER, BATMAN! It's fucking freezing out there! I'm gonna shoot a few bluejays and stuff their feathers in my underwear! Where's my travel agent's phone number? I wonder if furniture burns hotter than firewood... This coffee needs some whiskey in it! What kind of moron would choose to live in this climate?!?!

13 comments:

Robin said...

I think I discovered too late that I want a life similar to the one you have. I'm so happy for you and your day.

Citymouse said...

LOL love the ending!

whimsical brainpan said...

LMAO! A sweet post with a great punchline. I just love the heat you get from a good woodstove. I've never cooked on one though.

Unknown said...

We've really warmed up here and the snow is melting fast. I love those quiet very crisp, very dry and very cold mornings though...probably because I know around here winter doesn't last forever! Embrace your lovely wood stove. I have a definite infatuation with mine - Carmon

..................... said...

lovely post..i almost felt the warmth of your fireplace. ..and definitely the cold after THAT punchline..lol.
i reckon a very wize wizard would choose to live in such a climate.:)

ps: i love heated car seats. i don't have any in my vehicle, but my husband does. one of these mornings i'm gonna make off with his car.

Robin said...

I'd still love it, Wizened.....

..................... said...

exactly what kind of red wine is it?

russkal said...

Batman won't have a problem with the cold. He's got thick leather to protect him all over.

I wonder how he pees... not to mention shits...

DirkStar said...

Love the Jay photos...

They are one of my favorite birds.

I've always been amazed how beautiful and yet how truly deadly they are.

The best bird fight I ever watched was between a Blue Jay and a Cardinal.

It was terrible but fascinating.

Kati said...

ROFLMBO!!!!!! Loved the addendum. Also wondering what exactly you're cooking for dinner on that lovely wood stove??? Jealous as I'd love to have a wood stove in my house, but we've got no room, whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

I peeked in and I love this post. Like me you seem to see the ying and the yang of life. I have seat warmers in my car too their called butt cheeks. (smile)
thanks for sharing your day.

xxxJolie

Craig D said...

It is now I who is laughing! Glad to see you came to your senses!

In the mid-sixties my Dad replaced the coverted coal-burner in our basement with natural gas hot water baseboard heating.

In the mid-seventies he noodled up a way to use a "wood stove" in conjuction with the base board system.

He went to the junkyard and bought an old oil tank and a bunch of cast iron radiators. He suspended the radiators inside the oil tank and then connected the base board plumbing to run through the radiators.

He installed a door into the front of the oil tank through which firewood could be passed. Once a fire was built in the oil tank, the water was heated and circulated using the original system's pump.

I'm not saying things didn't get smoky in the cellar...

Pepper said...

I hate to tell you this but those birds at your feeder... They are actually frozen there waiting till Spring to thaw out.

It will be a glorious mid 60 day tomorrow and I don't miss the snow.