Monday, January 08, 2007

Raymond



A woman puts out a sign that says, “Handy-man wanted,” and a fellow knocks on her door to apply. As there are no other applicants and this guy seems ready and willing, she hires him.

“I’ll have you start painting the garage,” she states.

“Can’t do that,” he replies, “I’m allergic to paint.”

“Oh dear,” she says, “Well then, maybe you could clean out my gutters. The ladder is in the garage.”

“Gee, I’d like to, but I’m afraid of heights.”

Getting a bit aggravated, she suggests a third task: “All right, then suppose you change the storm windows for me.”

“Uh... well... I’d rather not because I might run the risk of getting cut by come glass.”

Flabbergasted by her new employee’s unwillingness to do any of the waiting work, she says angrily, “You don’t paint, you don’t climb ladders, and you are afraid to change a storm window – just what kind of a handy-man are you, anyway?!?”

“Well, I just live around the corner...”
.
* * * * * * * * * *
Raymond is a handy man (he lives just over the hill from me) and he's a handy-man: he can use what most people would judge to be junk to fix or build just about anything.

A visit to Raymond’s garage is a guaranteed spirit lifter. In his “If Grandpa Ain’t Happy, Life is Hard” t-shirt, he’ll tell you he spent ten years working in the woods one summer, he might walk past you with his arms spread about three feet apart in front of him saying, “Outta my way, boys, I’m measurin’ a door.” You ask him what he’s up to and he’ll reply, “Oh, about six feet.” “Raymond, have you lived here all your life?” “No, not yet.” You seldom visit Raymond and find him alone: pals, grown children and grandchildren swarm the place, and although he often has the demeanor of a bear hollering threats and warnings, nobody takes his bluster seriously. The place is a circus.

Raymond’s current building projects include early 1900s engines, cannons (large and miniature), Quaker Oats box wireless radios, home-made wine, a miniature sawmill, and horseless carriages. As you look at these pictures, keep in mind that this man's "formal" education ended as soon as he turned 16 (and that was before reaching high school). He pretends to be able to read. Everything you see pictured was restored or built from scratch (junk, scrap metal, old lawnmowers etc.). It would just about kill Raymond to buy anything he can make himself. All of his creations work; in fact they purr - except for the cannons...


This is one of more than two dozen restored engines, most of which were hauled from rusty graves in somebody's woods where they had been thrown when the washing machines (or whatever else they powered) gave up the ghost. Missing or broken parts are replaced by replicas Raymond makes.


The master adjusts his miniature sawmill prior to firing up the engine.
.

Cutting a "board" (1" = 1' scale, so this is a ten-foot log being cut into 1 x 10 x 10 boards). Note the augur in the lower left-hand corner of the photo (made from an old drill bit). It conveys sawdust.


A horseless carriage built from junk-pile metal and an old lawnmower. It can carry you along at about 17 mph.


One of about eight wireless working AM radios Raymond has built from oatmeal boxes and copper wire. The white knob is the tuner.

There's only one project going on over at Raymond's that I'd be inclined to discourage:

.
Don't let the label fool you: the Napa Valley product that once inhabited this bottle bears no resemblance to the Welch's based home-brew that Raymond is about to fill it with... His wine is, well, awful.
...
Okay, so he's not a vintner, but Raymond is definitely the handiest man in my end of the North Country. You're looking at the work of a genius.

17 comments:

Bardouble29 said...

how fun, I would love to walk through his shop and see all the beautiful things he created.

Judy said...

One thing I didn't mention was the "test firing" of the cannon... but cannon stories should probably have their own blog entry... BOOM!!!

Citymouse said...

there needs to be more Raymonds in the world!

Robin said...

To have a mind like that...the soul....

~R

Anonymous said...

Raymond reminds me of a guy here. This guy can fix anything. Thank God for people like Raymond. I love the pic of the old carriage.

Joshua said...

I would love to be able to go there and see the man work. I just love doing that kind of stuff.

School does not teach you everything you need to know about life.

whimsical brainpan said...

Genius indeed! That is some marvelous stuff but the horseless carriage just blows me away! Thank You for introducing us to your talented friend.

Craig D said...

Impressive!

Pepper said...

He is a genius. Truly a master. We need more Raymonds in the world.

DirkStar said...

Now this is my kind of man!

Awesome post...

you are lucky to have such a wonderful neighbor.

I bet he's a hoot at parties...

Em said...

I could definitely use Raymond around the house. I'm not a real DIY kind of person, sadly. Though when he is finished with the work, we'll drink the wine I bought at the store instead of his 'awful' brew.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Always nice to hear from folks...and it led me to your blog. I don't think I've been here before. If I did, I lost the link...but I'm putting you on bloglines right now! :)

Max and Me said...

raymond sounds like a very cool fellow. i would like to taste some of that wine he makes.

Anonymous said...

I admire the work he does and I envy him for his talent.

Judy said...

Thanks to all of you for dropping by - I wish I could take each and all of you to meet the man in person and hear his engines purr. Did you notice how beautiful the wood bases and mounts are? He cuts the trees... saws the boards... finishes the wood...

The engine and the sawmill are mounted on cherry; the radio looks to me like elm (or possibly sugar maple).

Yes, the world needs more Raymonds.

Dirk, he's SHY and would be scared to come to anything as formal as a "party".

Meander, NO, you REALLY DON'T want to try his wine!!

The Lone Beader® said...

Very interesting stuff!

JerryShown said...

Thank you so much for the photo's.
I gotta say they fairly make an old mechanics fingers itch to get hold of those old engines and see what makes them tick.

RUTH said...

A great joke! What a treasure Raymond is....I think we all need a Raymond clone in our back pockets.....I know I do...plenty of jobs need doing at my place.