Tuesday, December 12, 2006

This morning Dirk wrote, “It must be a surprise every time you open the door,” which reminded me of the night I opened the front door to put some cat food in the bowl on the top step and found myself face to face with a very chubby raccoon who was cleaning up the last of my previous fill-up. We were inches apart, and my instinct was to immediately (and quickly) close the door! Brain clicked again saying, “Hey – cool!” and I reopened it as rapidly as I had shut it, but in that nano-second, the raccoon was gone. It was as though I had imagined him.

One summer evening my husband also had a surprise upon opening the door. I was staying in the Ronald McDonald house in Buffalo at the time and had left him in charge of the horses. It was 11PM and he was just settling down for the night when he heard something large splashing across the pond behind the house. Knowing that was not a place the horses should be, he jumped into his jeans, grabbed a flashlight, and headed out the door in the direction of the racket, but once in the open air, he realized that things had gone quiet. He stood still, listening, and then heard the munching of leaves about fifteen feet from where he was standing. He focused the flashlight beam on the sound as he moved closer, and then, slowly, a large snoot emerged from the tree cover... More of it appeared, followed seconds later by a huge rack of antlers: he was face to face with a bull moose! Each of them had the same thought: Yikes! Husband beat a retreat to the house while Moose whirled and thundered off into the woods.

Knock-knock.

Who's there?

Deer and Moose.

Deer and Moose who?

Deer me, I Moose be going.

7 comments:

Citymouse said...

some suprizes should be avoided.. but these turned out okay!

russkal said...

For a while there I thought you were being attacked by the Loch Ness monster.

Glad to know your husband escaped the moose episode unscathed.

Citymouse said...

please forgive me... i deleted your comment (you found me!)

DirkStar said...

LOL!

How come nobody tried clicking the test pattern on my television screen?

Deer me, I moose be more clever than I thought...

Now that's punny!

Anonymous said...

While I live within city limits there is a flock of wild turkeys that roam my section of town. I love opening my door to find them there. You are so lucky to open your door on such beauty, but you knew that.

Anonymous said...

Deer and Moose! Moose and Deer! Natasha, vhat is dis, some new kind of trick by Moose and Squirrel?!

Pepper said...

I stand in awe of your photographic skills. You have a wonderful blog and I am going to enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by mine.