Monday, November 27, 2006

New York’s Finest

I’m a pretty good fire builder. Coaxing heat from logs is something I do well, and that skill is a blessing in the cold north woods that I call home. My husband cuts the trees, bucks up and then splits our winter fuel supply, we haul it home (either in the pick-up truck or using the 1952 Ford tractor and an equally old trailer), stack it for the wind to dry, and then move it into the indoor “woodshed” before the arrival of fall’s cool nights. It’s good wood, and we are warm.

This Thanksgiving we carried some kindling and a dozen or so pieces of beech, maple and cherry to New York City for a Thanksgiving day fire in my brother- and sister-in-law’s fourth floor apartment in “Nolita,” the neighborhood between Soho and the Lower East Side. Their place is newly renovated and spacious, with a nice view of the park that runs south from Houston St. just west of Katz’ Deli (you remember the “I’ll have what she’s having!” scene from When Harry Met Sally). The dining room table sits near a modern and attractive fireplace towards the glass-walled balcony end of the flat.


I laid the fire and lit it just as the afternoon hors d’oeuvres and wine were served, but when you ask a wizard to build a fire, expect the unexpected... The wood crackled and everything was cozy, although what had been some distant siren noise suddenly grew closer, and curiosity soon caused some of us to step out onto that balcony. Below were three large fire trucks and a swarm of firemen, all looking up. We looked up too, but as far as we could tell, there wasn’t anything to see.

The next thing we knew, the stainless steel elevator door into the apartment opened and three FDNY professionals in full active duty attire entered, looking for the fire! Someone had smelled our smoke and called 911.

They declined the hor d’oeuvres and a glass of wine, but – like us – were pleased that ours was a fire they had no need to extinguish. We exchanged greetings, and they left.

Here’s to these men who – on Thanksgiving and every other day of the year – work to protect and rescue us. Thank you, Fire Department of New York.




5 comments:

DirkStar said...

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

That's it, I just peed myself.

And, I am the fire God...

I build huge fires in the campgrounds of America.

Bring it, girl...

It's on!

Citymouse said...

OMG... only in the big city! Where I live now, they wont come by unless you can see the flames in the next county.

whimsical brainpan said...

Amen! After having been trapped in a burning building I have the utmost respect for those who are willing to run into them to save lives and property. God bless them.

Judy said...

Whim, I thought of you as I was posting this one and hoped reading it wouldn't cause you pain. Yes, God bless them, and God bless you (from this agnostic...) - glad you're with us.

DirkStar said...

Thanks for your help.

See how easy it is to share goodwill!


Oh, I may have mentioned you in my post for tomorrow...

I think it was in regards to some advice you gave me.