Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Great American...... -.Off .


.
For the past couple of weeks, our little local food co-op has been having a run-in with Corporate America. I could tell the tale, but perhaps you'd like to click on this link to hear what the NATIONAL NEWS COVERAGE has to say.
.
I couldn't help weighing in, nor can I resist sharing my thoughts with you, dear readers. What follows is a copy of my letter to the heads of General Mills and Pillsbury:
.
Dear Mr. Sanger and Ms. Chugg:
.
Regarding the recent unauthorized use of your Bake-Off trademark by the Potsdam (N.Y.) Community Co-op and the subsequent threat made against them by your legal department, I say a resounding GOOD FOR YOU!!!
.
Just because these country rubes want to have a baking contest to raise money for a local food pantry does not give them the privilege of using your time-honored and esteemed trademarked phrase. Corporate America must stand tall, General Mills must protect itself, and I am happy to know that your legal team is on the ball and ready to throw all of their expertise in the way of this shameful usurpation of your brilliant trademark.
..
Even more disgraceful than these simple folks trying to make a few dollars to help the needy (obviously at General Mills' expense) is the fact that even though your attorneys have succeeded in intimidating the Co-op into changing the name of their annual charity bake-off to a Baking Contest, they have not been able to control the sentiments of the many residents of northern New York who have taken to calling the event The General Mills Fuck-Off! Have they no shame?
.
I am buoyed by my belief that the noble cause shall win in the end. General Mills must stop the Co-op's use of your sacred, patented phrase. Failure to do so will cause a domino effect: first the Co-op; next, the local 4-H Clubs will be Baking-Off; and then - heaven forbid - the local Humane Society will be doing it. From there, your sales will slump, your profit margin narrow, and your stock will begin to tumble. Had your legal team been less vigilant, it would be frightening to consider all of the consequences.
.
For your courage and nobility, you will be in my thoughts each time I gaze lovingly at a frozen tube of Pillsbury cookie dough. Fight on, Mr. Sanger and Ms. Chugg, and God bless America.
.
Sincerely,

.
.
And here is a photo of the business posing the terrible threat to Mr. and Ms. Doughboy: Go ahead and click on the link below the picture for a more intimate look at the Bake-Off.
.

......................The Potsdam Co-op
.

18 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

I love you!

BTW, one does not simply switch allegiances to teams if one is a true fan. You stick with your team win or lose. I also hate the Pats.

Before this year I disliked them but they had my respect. Then their coach was caught cheating eariler this year. Not only did I lose my respect for them as a team, but I think they deserve that no loss record about as much as Barry Bonds deserves his.

Judy said...

Hey, Whim!

: )

Yeah, I was just kidding - trying to cheer you up. I didn't really mean my comment about switching allegiance. You see, I'm really much more of a baseball fan (you know, real "baseball" before steroids) than a football fan, and my heart was broken when the Expos moved from Montreal to D.C. I haven't been to any game since. Loyalty to a team doesn't just move from one place to another.

I didn't know about the Pat's coach cheating, but I'm in complete agreement with your sentiments.

Anonymous said...

Wiz, Glad to read you're still your feisty self, vertebrae weary or not. These big biz types are birds of a feather. Here in Vancouver, we are all (unless income greater than, oh, maybe $200K) bemoaning preparations for the 2010 Winter Games -- huge cost to taxpayers, huge cost of tickets (for those who might have forgiven the disruption if they could only take part), huge generalized uproar, huge benefit to developers, and all kinds of ugliness -- such as attempt by the Olympic trademark nazis to prosecute a 15-year old business "Olympic Pizza" for its "misuse" of the Olympic name. The little guys won that round. Can't wait to read the response you receive from GM.

Dan said...

Oh brother! There's a small sushi bar in Manhattan that was sued by Toho films of Japan when they called one of their sushi rolls the "Godzilla" roll. They had to change the name. I think they now call it the "Monster" roll. Ugh.

Linda G. said...

Love your letter Wiz! I'm afraid General Mills illustrates the silliness that's overcome our country. I'm smiling because my DH came home from the store telling me he'd bought an off brand flour yesterday. He said it was cheaper and flour's flour, right? And I said yes indeed.

Love the playground story:)

the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

I think copyrighted words and phrases are ridiculous. If a slogan is distinctive enough, any use of it by someone else would be difficult to pull off. And, if the slogan isn't distinctive, then they need to come up with something new. Sheesh.

Jocelyn said...

I like baking CONTESTS where a theme ingredient is used. Couldn't this CONTEST have a theme ingredient this year of "CEOs of General Mills"? I bet those two, leathery and tough as they are, would whip into a nice merengue, if the KitchenAid were bumped up to 10.

meggie said...

I hope they do read that, & I hope they have the good grace to answer you!
Society is going mad!

whimsical brainpan said...

S'ok Wiz, I'm a bit rabid when it comes to my team.

You still rock!

(((HUGS)))

Zen Wizard said...

You'd think there would be some way that they could sponsor it or something.

Kati said...

*shaking head* It's absolutely rediculous, what our world is coming to. Of course I got the biggest (snarkiest) laugh when Donald Trump tried to trade-mark "You're Fired". *shaking head* These big-wigs are big idiots and it's about time we took them down a couple of ladders (forget a notch or two, they need to be brought back to earth completely).

Robin said...

Just stopped by to say 'hi'. Oh, and I meant every word I said. :)

ThursdayNext said...

Dear Wizard, I am not worthy of your perfect precision of using sarcasm! For the record, I only buy King Arthur flour because they support PBS and I only eat Trader Joe cereals. I hope everyone boycotts GM and Pillsbury for a while...
Love, Amy

Rick Rockhill said...

Well done oh wizened one! You are the goliath in this world we all need!

Synchronicity said...

this reminds me of when disney tried to sue a daycare for a mural they had of disney characters. i think warner brothers came in and re-did the mural for free.

hey love the cool new frame you got there..you are so creative!

Craig D said...

Nothin' is as lovin'
As something from the oven
And Pillsbury says it best,
Don't you think?

The Lone Beader® said...

Baking?? Who has time for that??

Becca said...

Heavens to Betsy! Stuff like that just chaps my hide. I can't believe that co-op had the gall to take Pilsbury's name like that. Sheesh...