Thursday, September 13, 2007

Who Would Show Up?

(This is story #3 of my employment stories. For an introduction to these stories, click here. Other stories are below this post.)

It was the end of the day, but sure, I would interview one more - Claire. Chris, the Job Service counsellor, said she had some electronics assembly experience and maybe I could use her. His weary expression might have suggested to me that he didn't really think so, but I always took his referrals.

I greeted her and offered the chair, my eyes quickly skimming over her application papers as I sat down, but before I had a chance to even engage in some warm-up small talk, Claire began spilling the information she could not contain.

He had beaten her so bad, so bad she threw up, and then, while she was wretching into the toilet, he pissed on her. And then he beat her again. And again. Within thirty seconds of our meeting, Claire told me - a complete stranger, a possible employer - the intimate details of criminal abuse and pathetic submission. Everything about her was beaten down, like the worn once grassy short-cut people take across a lawn to save going to the corner. There was no life, no resillience left. Despite her statements that all of these things were behind her now, her eyes were dull and unable to meet mine, her mousy brown hair as limp as her spirit. I placed the application quietly on my desk and just listened.

"But that's all behind me now," she said at last, "and I'm ready to go to work." Of course that wasn't true, for if it had been, she wouldn't have spilled her guts to me as she had done. I thanked her for talking with me and gave the usual line about keeping her application in case I had an opening for which she was the best match.

For weeks thoughts of Claire would come back to me at unexpected times, her vivid descriptions haunt me. I'd seen the scars of abuse before, but this woman had described the wounds so clearly, in such detail, and she had poured out her heart to me as though I was a trusted friend.

Months passed. I hired Jane, a part-time assistant to do payroll and help man the office. One Thursday afternoon Jane handed me the list of people she had scheduled for Job Service testing and interviews for the next day, and I saw Claire's name.

"Oh dear," I said, "Of course you couldn't have known, but I've already 'interviewed' her, and she's not someone I can hire. No matter, I'll interview her again. Who knows, maybe her life has changed."

The next day, I arrived at the Job Service and took a peek into the testing room, but I didn't see Claire. As expected, there were eight people, and several of them were women, but none was the person I remembered so clearly.

I conducted three interviews, and then an enthusiastic, curly-haired blonde handed me her application and took the applicant's chair. The name on her papers was Claire. I took a double-take. This couldn't be the same mousy woman I had met previously. Her body language was confident, even jaunty; she was positively pretty.

The interview began to have a "Twilight Zone" feel to it as I realized that she had worked at Black and Decker and at Campbell, two of the same places the other Claire said she had worked. Finally I couldn't continue without addressing the situation.

"Claire," I said, "This is so strange. Months ago I interviewed someone who had the exact same name as you - but didn't look like you. This other Claire was not someone I was able to hire because she had some serious troubles in her life at the time. I would like to offer you a job, but this is just so strange... You not only have the same name as this other person, but you have worked in two of the same places!"

Claire lowered her eyes and said, "Well, there was a girl who lived with me for awhile, and she used my I.D."

"Oh my God. You mean she pretended to be you?" Claire continued to look at the floor and gave a slight sort of "strange things happen" smile. "Well, no wonder I was confused!" I said. And I asked her if she could begin work the next week.

When Claire left, I asked the Job Service clerk to pull all the information they had on both of the Claires. "Oh, there's only one," she replied. Incredulous, I said, no, there had to be two. "No, she completely changes every so often, but there's only one."

I believe I had interviewed a schizophrenic. Two of her. Unfortunately, I had to call her later that evening and rescind the job offer. There was no way of knowing which Claire would come to work.
.

11 comments:

Craig D said...

You mean this ploy doesn't work?

Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong at all those interviews...

Kati said...

Sounds like a case of dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as MPD or multiple personality disorder). I've never witnessed such a switch myself, but thanks to my mom's studies & personal experiences, have heard quite a bit about it. Interesting. It's too bad that it wasn't more of a matter of "had straightened her life out" and you were able to give her the job.

meggie said...

What a curious story. What a shame she hadnt 'become' the second Claire. As I read, I thought she may have, but think the multiple identity to be more likely.

Robin said...

My friend John the priest lived in a tiny town, Mt. Squirrelly. (You might have heard of it...")

Anyway, a twenty-something female parishoner came in for counselling with him, due to some problems she was having...i.e. an affair with her married, female psychotherapist. He knew the therapist was doing some fairly unscrupulous things already~ so things were a tangled mess to begin with.

A while into the session, without skipping a beat and not moving an inch, the woman altered completely and said, "Hey, my names Ben and I want to tell you what's really happening."

John blinked, and said, "Good to meet you, Ben. Please go on."

It was MPD....and sounds like Claire. John's story got hairier, but it sounds like you made a good choice.

Wiz...these are such good stories.....Thank you.

DirkStar said...

Wow, what an interesting series. The Vietnam story was oddly touching and the Cinderella one was good too.

People are so fascinating...

Em said...

OMG..that is fascinating!

whimsical brainpan said...

How strange! I can't imagine how surreal the whole experience must have felt.

darkfoam said...

that really is might odd indeed.
good thing you caught on before the other claire showed back up.

Voyager said...

Wow, what a strange story. But fascinating to see I'm sure.
V.

Jocelyn said...

Is there a better phrase than "whoa, Nellie" here? If so, I'm not coming up with it.

Dodged a bullet on that hire!

CS said...

Oh, interesting. Actually you interviewed someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder. They express fragmented off aspects of their personality at different times, usually victims of pretty severe childhood abuse.