Sunday, September 09, 2007

Tell Me What You Like to Do

(This is story #1 of my employment stories. For an introduction to these stories, click here.)

He was a man of few words and sullen stares. The size of his hands told me he wasn’t likely to be good at working with tiny electronic components, but hand size wasn’t something you could pre-screen for when somebody called and said they were looking for a job. Ditto the stares.

I guess you could say that terseness defined him, for his written answers in the application’s blanks were few and far between and tended toward one-word summations. He had apparently finished high school (but didn’t say where) and had been in the army (again, no details). There was no indication of any work history in the fifteen years since. Even the “position desired” question was unanswered.

I worked my way through the application, verifying his address and asking for his telephone number, learning that he had done “odd jobs” and that he didn’t care what kind of work he got.

“You haven’t put anything here on this line where it asks what your interests and hobbies are,” I said with an encouraging smile.

Another stare, and then he replied, “Whattya mean?”

“Well, some people like sports or listening to music or working on cars or whatever. You know, what do you like to do when you aren’t working?”

Silence. And then his eyes met mine and he said slowly and deliberately, “Killing people is my specialty, and I’m very good at it.”

I chuckled (trying to act nonchalant and as though he had been joking) and replied, “Well, I guess everybody’s good at something!. … So… John… do you have transportation?” and I gradually concluded the interview so as not to appear intimidated.

I rose and extended my hand to shake his but was un-met. As he walked away, I made the coded notation for “Do Not Hire,” and I thought that he was probably an honest man. His specialty was killing people, and he was probably good at it because you had to be if you survived Vietnam, and it would haunt the rest of his days.
.
.

7 comments:

Sue said...

WOW! I'm looking forward to reading more of this, I think I'll do a few posts on jobs too, I've had a lot.

Kati said...

Wow.... As you said, he sounded like a haunted man.

meggie said...

Great post. Sadly, there are many ruined lives. I wonder how he fared in his life.

Anonymous said...

He's either haunted and honest, OR a very good actor who was acting out on a dare or a bet!

darkfoam said...

my stepgrandfather had to kill a man during WWI in order to survive himself. he went on to lead a productive life, but he never got over having to kill another human being.

Em said...

What a powerful story.

CS said...

I've worked with a few former snipers and they were all much friendlier tan this guy. If he'd said "killing people was my speacialty even...