Monday, August 13, 2007

The Secret Lives of Animals...

This morning I was treated to a wonderful sight. In the corner of our freshly cut meadow, the white of a doe's tail caught my eye, flicking rapidly out of habit or perhaps necessity (although it seemed too early in the morning for the flies to be bothering her).

I went to the back porch for a better look, but the change in angle placed her out of my view, and instead, I spied her fawn in a bouncing game of "Herd the Turkeys!" Acting much like a border collie, this young Bambi was circling two dismayed gobblers, bouncing and dashing with a speed that had them completely befuddled and seemingly scared witless. Compared to their hysterical fits and starts and Keystone Kops collisions, the young deer was poetry in motion. I watched in amazed amusement.

After a minute or so, probably reacting to a call or signal from the doe, the fawn suddenly turned and bounded toward the corner of the meadow and then into the woods. Game over, the turkeys stood still as statues, apparently wondering what on earth they had just experienced.

And then life in the meadow returned to the normally peaceful quiet of an early summer morning.

11 comments:

DNR said...

Aaahhh man, that sounded too cool!!! Your imagery brought it to life. This happens too many times and you’re gonna have to get a web cam... LOL!!!

I can just see those turkey’s running into each other. Some national symbol they would have made, if Franklin would have had his way.

whimsical brainpan said...

LOL! I wish I had been there to see that!

I have a signal! It is sketchy (don't know how long it will hold) and not the one from the school, but it's a welcome sight (as is your blog).

Anonymous said...

Wiz what a gift to see such play. Thank you for sharing.

Craig D said...

Well, I, like, totally saw this, like, awesome thing on youtube that was like, totally awesome? Like you should check it out, because it's way cooler than, like, some animals hopping around in someone's, like back yard? 'Cause, like, it's this guy totally wiping out on his skateboard and, like you should see it?

Sounds like a fun way to start off the day, wiz. Thanks for sharing! (But, like, next time you should, like, totally upload it to youtube!)

Bardouble29 said...

Wow, that would have been a sight to see.

The way you describe it, makes me feel like I was standing there next to you watching it with you.

Robin said...

Yep. August in Heaven.

(Damn, you're a great writer.....)

Crabby said...

Oh, Wise. I envy you. What a joy that must have been.

You are a wonderful writer!

I have a photo I took of a fawn a few years back. I'll try to find it and put it up. Many of the deer that came in my yard then were very tame. Probably used to seeing me out there working quietly every day. I never tried to approach them. And was always careful about sudden movements. Eventually they came within 3 or 4 feet of me. Course it didn't hurt that I fed them daily. LOL!

CS said...

Wow, what a gift! WIsh you had video of it for us.

Sue said...

When I lived in Glenelg, in the Scottish NW Highlands, the deer would ruin crofters' gardens and it wasn't a good thing if they came and ate all your precious vegetables or flowers but it was lovely to see them at a distance, or hear them roaring in the autumn in the hills.

captain corky said...

This post makes we want to grab my bottle of vodka and go hunting. ;)

DirkStar said...

Enjoy it while you can because according to a report released this morning us city dwellers live longer.

Yup, its true!

I saw a possum plying tag with some cars the other day. I don't think he fared as well as the deer.