Monday, August 06, 2007

Horse Crazy

I can’t remember when there weren’t horses in my life. I loved them always, from the time I could walk, and the evidence is still stuck to a pair of tiny brown and white leather saddle shoes my mother packed away with other souvenirs of my childhood. Most mothers would be loath to save horse manure, but my mother wasn’t like most.

In the evenings and on weekends, we would visit all the local stables, attend all the horse shows and come to know every local horse person - and horse - we encountered. I knew no fear of these big animals and lived for long Sunday afternoons when I’d sit on the hood of our old Chevy with its bumper up tight to some corral fence, watching the Pleasure Horse or Stock Horse classes and the Flag or Pick-up Race. I never tired of what someone once quipped was “a bunch of horses asses riding a bunch of horses asses” go around and around those rings.

When winter ended the outdoor riding season and darkness came early, our small family would eat dinner and then huddle close to the radio for episodes of Straight Arrow and his golden horse, Fury. My father read Red Ryder comics to me and then Will James’ book, Smoky the Cowhorse. We found two indoor riding rings to visit, quenching my thirst until spring.

By the time I was four, I had a “job” riding ponies. There was a circular, double-fenced enclosure about two miles from our house, and above its white painted gate a sign proclaimed PONY RIDES - 25¢. For a quarter (no small fee in those days), a kid could be put up on either Jingles or Trigger and - with the pony on a lead-rope - given three turns around the ring. My father took me there often, and we quickly endeared ourselves to the proprietor. At first I must have been led around, but soon I was off the lead and galloping. Kids passing by saw the commotion and begged their parents to stop their cars and let them ride, and when they did, I would have to relinquish my mount. Of course, the ponies walked sedately (and tiredly) with these “amateur” riders. When the crowds dwindled once again, I was lifted into the saddle, and with a hearty “heeawwww!” I took off with flying hooves and a wake of dust. The details of this activity were unknown to my mother who assumed that my tales of having to rein in “that ornery cayuse” had their root in a galloping imagination. One evening my father suggested that she come and watch me ride, and after nearly dropping the camera in her terrified shock, she documented my cowboy skills in Kodak home movies. The owner of the pony rides place knew good advertising when it galloped past him: my riding was free.

My own first horse was named Lady. She was a handsome bay mare (if you overlooked her stiff legs and slight limp) given to me by my mother’s childhood friend, Marion. Marion had a farm, but she and her husband had recently moved to the city, leaving Lady, but not the daily chore of feeding her. I was the answer: a horse-crazy kid whose parents had recently bought an old house and two acres of land. The amenities of that real estate included a small pasture and a shed containing a box stall, the perfect home for a sedate equine.

Lady was 13 – about twice my age. She had been a riding stable mount - a lousy life for any horse - until her legs gave out, and from there she was sent to a mink farm where she was destined to become sustenance for those poor animals on their way to giving up their hides to grace the shoulders of rich women. Somehow Marion had seen her there, and in exchange for a fin and the horse’s promise to safely entertain Marion’s children, Lady evaded the gun and the food bowl. Several years passed, and those children left the nest. On June 10, 1952, Lady was trucked to her new home at my house. I paid Marion my life’s savings of $6.00 for her, which probably covered the cost of the transportation.

How I loved that horse. She was my steed, my friend and confidant, and the passion of my young life.

The remarkable thing about this story is that my parents knew nothing about horses and had no interest in them. Perhaps on a Sunday drive we passed “El Rancho”, the stable where someone first plunked me on top of a horse, and it was love at first plunk, or maybe it was a picture in a book or a toy animal that first caused me to become horse crazy. Whatever it was, my parents supported my interest with countless hours of their time and with money they really didn’t have. In doing so, they gave me a gift beyond measure: I grew up believing that a passion was to be followed and that dreams could be realized.

.
I guess I’ve written enough about this for now, so….. HEEAWWWW! C'mon, you ornery cayuse! Let's git to the ranch!

...

17 comments:

CS said...

That is such a great story - what a piece of luck that you were able to be the "lure" for the other kids and ride to your herat's content. You must have been one of those kids to whom it just came naturally. I also love that photo at the end.

Anonymous said...

Getting to know you is such a treat. Thank you for this story. It seems you were a gutsy wonderful character even way way way way way way back then!

DNR said...

Great story Wiz!! And I agree with Becky, getting to know you is such a treat. Thanks for sharing your passion.

captain corky said...

Very touching post Wiz. I used to ride a horse named Blinky, (who was blind in one eye) when I went to Summer camp. I loved that horse and riding. One day I wouldn't mind riding again.

Crabby said...

What a touching story, Wize. I really enjoyed this!

Kati said...

What a neat story of your childhood, Wiz! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jocelyn said...

Will I never tire of childhood rememberances?

Guess not.

Personally, I was horse crazy, but only from a distance. Up close, I was too in awe of the power and beauty of the horse to ever feel comfortable.

Sue said...

I was horse crazy too, although neither of my parents was they also indulged my passion. I had a pony, Frandy, who I loved dearly until I went to boarding school at 12 and he had to be sold which was heart breaking. I loved reading Black Beauty then. Boys gradually replaced my passions but I still love horses.

The Lone Beader® said...

When I was around 14, I used to race horses through the grapevines bareback with my friend in Pennsylvania=:)

Voyager said...

Beautiful story, and my hat goes off to your parents for helping you follow dreams they didn't share.
V.

Pepper said...

What a wonderful gift. I was horse crazy myself until one fateful day. I have been scared of them since. I have gotten on and rode but I was absolutely terrified. They are beautiful animals and I am sure if I didn't have such a bad ride I would have enjoyed owning one.

Citymouse said...

What wonderful parents!

Bardouble29 said...

I was horse crazy too, (still am) but was unable to do anything about it.

Over the years I have had the wonderful pleasure of beginning to learn how to ride (still could learn some more)

And one of these days I will own land to have my own creature of beauty and grace...

Craig D said...

It's "Classic Best of Wizard!"

Hope you're having a fun Summer, my blogging-buddy!

DirkStar said...

Great post...

I never had a horse but oddly enough, my Chinese birth sign is the horse...

We have been so busy this summer but I just wanted to stop by land say hello.

I'm glad you liked my last post series. I was very curious to see what you would have to say about it.

It was a monster job getting it done...

Seriously, I had a small library of real books open all around me the whole time I was writing it.

Yeah, real books!

Well, just wanted to say hello.

Oh,if you click the writer's block link and then click gallery, you'll find a new Micah link with lots of cool new pics...

God, I do love my son...

Unknown said...

The first complete book I ever read was 'Smokey the Cowhorse'! And of course, my first colt was also named Smokey. We certainly shared the same childhood passion for horses; but mine was spent running wild with twenty some odd broodmares and their foals on a mountain in northwestern Arkansas. Thank you for sharing this piece of your life.

AfKaP said...

What a sweet story and a priceless picture of you on the horse. Horses seem to have so much understanding and companionship. I miss being with them.