Friday, August 17, 2007

As Time Goes By

She noticed he was different that first night on the bus - smarter, she thought, because of the book - and it drew her to him. They exchanged formal smiles and nods almost as dance partners might do in acknowledgment of the pleasure of a minuet just ended. A week later they were lovers.

The compatibility of their bodies amazed them and passion consumed them until their breathing slowed again, their flesh released them to consider what the rest of the night had to offer. Sometimes they would wash away the time’s separation in the shower, his strong arms lifting her to him as the sides of the metal stall rumbled thunder and the steamy spraying water poured over them; on other nights they rolled in a cool ménage a trois with the spring breeze that stole softly in through the window above his mattress.

They were lovers, though love was never spoken of. They even made a point of saying, “I like you,” as they lay together, a joking reference to the respect each of them had for the seriousness of love.

He brought her to jazz, to the Wade in the Water of Oscar Petersen, the rich vocals of Lou Rawls. Rochester was a music town, and after formal concerts ended, traveling jazz greats of the day found their way to Doug Duke’s tiny club down at Charlotte beach. The place would start jumping around midnight, and he'd bring her there, as much being part of the scene as taking it in. Heads turned and old men smiled recognition as they made their way to a table near the stage so tiny that it felt as though Clark Terry or Marion McPartland or Coleman Hawkins might play just for them. Her own musical interests were baser. She sang him Pat Sky and Phil Ochs, vibrated his stereo speakers to Jefferson Airplane on those rare nights when they would just hang out at his place.

In the wee hours of the morning they would drive to Nick Tahou’s for the “garbage plate” or homefries. It was a tough neighborhood. There’d been murders there, so he’d go in while she waited in the old green station wagon he called “The Pickle.” Sometimes the weight of the food was more than the grease-soaked paper bag could hold, and it would lose its ketchup-laden load in the front seat as they laughed in greasy-chinned silliness. Then he’d drive her home, often as the night was giving way to sunrise.

The affair ended as suddenly as it began. They traded places, in a way, when he graduated and moved to Boston, and she left her job and enrolled in summer courses. He came back to visit a few weeks later, and things weren't the same.

They eventually loved and married well, though of course not each other, but for years each haunted the other’s dreams in the way a lover can. At times a song or an old photo still stirs the memories. They're good memories, memories of a searing yet tender affair, but when rational thought replaces the frivolous recall of fickle emotion, they both believe that it would not have been the right love, the love that sustains them now and has for so many years. It was a show in rehearsal, mis-cast, a film outdone by its sequel despite the enduring luster of its original players.

You must remember this,
A kiss is just a kiss,
A sigh is just a sigh.
The sentimental things apply
As times goes by.





.
.

23 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

Beautifully written Wizard!

If I hadn't just taken a shower I would have taken a cold one after that first part. :-)

I just love Casablanca (who wouldn't)! I watched it just the other week.

Sue said...

I haven't seen it for a few years, it's often on TV over Christmas. makes me want to see itagain now!

DNR said...

WOW!!! I don't know what else to say.

Very well done.

Voyager said...

Lovely. Thank you. It takes me back to a similar experience.
V.

Unknown said...

Wonderful!!! ...Carmon

Uday said...

not to much i know about writing but good blog.

Rick Rockhill said...

nice post- very vivid visual. (I like Oscar Peterson as well btw)

Kati said...

What a fantastic story, Wiz!!!! I just love reading the things you post for us.

Sling said...

That was hot,and sexy,and masterfully written wizard!..

Anonymous said...

ooh la lah! hot stuff. And yes well written. Before too much more 'time goes by' you might find you have a very profitable career in sexy sensual writing.

Jocelyn said...

You are so completely The Complete Package as a writer.

And as a storyteller.

And, er, as a photographer.

I guess I'd like to be you, if I ever grow up.

meggie said...

Hi, here from Ian Lidster's.
I really enjoyed this post! excellent.

Enemy of the Republic said...

Thank you for coming by my blog.

The Lone Beader® said...

Wiz, is this a true story?? I loved it=:)

Judy said...

Inspired by Singleton's prose (The Hippie Parade), I wanted to try my hand at writing something that would suck you in and perhaps leave you a tiny bit breathless and sitting in silent reverie, something steamy.

I've tried writing fiction but find it difficult. (Maybe I'll try it again one of these days when I run out of true stories...).

Crabby said...

I wouldn't have thought it possible but you just made Casablanca, better.
Do you write professionally, Wize?

I used to have that movie. But it was on VHS. I need to see if they have it on DVD yet. Bet they do.

Judy said...

Crabby – The only “professional” thing I’ve written is an employee handbook… and – I hope - it may have been a bit more boring than this!

Ian Lidster said...

Wonderful and sensual and romantic and sexy in a lethal and riveting combination. Thank you for coming by my blog and leading me to yours. Glad I did. Have added you to my list of 'musts' if you don't mind.

anony mouse? muse? said...

wonderful.. mine still haunts my dreams

darkfoam said...

uh, i my employee handbook was written like this i might actually read it...;)
nice story.
who needs fiction in this case when you can have true stories

captain corky said...

Thanks for sharing that story. It was very touching.

CS said...

The best stories carry the readers back to some memory of their own. Well done.

singleton said...

"It was a show in rehearsal, mis-cast, a film outdone by its sequel despite the enduring luster of its original players"

And that, my dear, is a lovestory! I'm sorry I missed this all these months ago.....

Perfect!