Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Spear Fishing


Ya-hoo! Look what's up!
.

.
Our asparagus bed averages about three feet wide and is 100 feet in length. That's a lot of asparagus... We eat it fresh and freeze all the extra crop to enjoy year-round. Six weeks from the date of the first harvest, we desist and the spears are left to grow into green feathery plants that grow taller than my head. Okay, so I'm not a particularly tall wizard, but still, they are impressive. The greenery will nourish the roots, which will in turn provide next year's harvest.

This bed is thirty years old and still thriving. The key seems to be keeping it weeded and picking off the Asparagus and Japanese beetles. In the worst attack times, I prowl the patch several times a day carrying a small bucket of water and dish detergent, drowning my enemies. (I also squish 'em bare-handed if I happen to be bucket-less).
.
.
Fresh, wholesome, organically grown asparagus. It's delicious.

14 comments:

Bardouble29 said...

ewww, sorry. I cannot aquish bugs barehanded. But the asaparagus sounds good....yummy

Judy said...

Yeah, I know... gross... I guess as I've aged a bit, I've become more ruthless... ; )

Crabby said...

I hate Japanese beetles. Those miserable buggers will make skeletons of your favorite plants then throw massive orgies on them after. I squish them too, with glee.

Boy I bet that asparagus is good. I love fresh asparagus.

Citymouse said...

ahhh the weeding.... that is the hardest for me

Robin said...

Can I come live with you? ")

darkfoam said...

i just want to be invited to dinner on a regular basis. i'll bring the organic wine to go with that organic asparagus.

Pepper said...

I am with Robin, I want to move in or at least have dinner with you. I love asparagus.

whimsical brainpan said...

Lovely pics. I hate asparagus though, even the fresh organic kind.

Unknown said...

Oh my favorite vegetable! We don't have many bugs here because of the altitude. It's the pocket gophers that kill your garden. We do have wild asparagus that grows here though so I'm thinking a raised bed garden will be ours in the future. Happy Spring! Carmon

Judy said...

Crabby - It's us versus them! The Japanese Beetles are really disgusting - all that moaning and heavy breathing...

Mouse - I actually enjoy weeding asparagus. You sit under the shade of the feathery fronds, out of the sun's heat, and don't have to even look at what you're doing because asparagus won't "pull" (i.e. if it comes out when you pull, it's a weed, and if it doesn't, you leave it there).

Robin - Sure! (If you help in the garden).

Foam - Ah, now there's a good deal for both of us!

Whim - You can still come to dinner - I won't make you eat asparagus. How about some nice tofu?

Carmon - Pocket gophers... Mother Nature has a special pest for every garden! I am currently on a trapping rampage... (Havahart trapping).

Em said...

Not sure I could squish the bugs. And I KNOW I could not weed very often. But I do love asparagus and a bed that has thrived for 30 years is impressive!!

Pink Icing said...

I was so entranced of a field of 30yr old historical Asparagus that I am left unfulfilled. Bugs or not, I want some of that. Off to the local farm shop to see what's on offer in the hope that I might find something that excites my senses just as much...

Kati said...

Totally jealous over your yearly fresh supply of asparagus. Lightly simmered asparagus, salted with a bit of butter, is one of my favorite spring veggies. *drool* Supposedly my pop-pop (dad's dad) had a fantastic crop every year when Dad was growing up in Baltimore.

Loving all the plant pics you're posting lately.

DNR said...

Yum!! My mom's has been up for over a month now (East Tennessee). Her bed is only 4x10 and about 25 years old. I can't imagine 100 feet of asparagus.