Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Cold Blood

.
Her body was brutally impaled and dangling from a fence. There was a trace of dried blood on her breast, the last drops her wounded heart had managed to pump out before it stopped beating forever. The wind blew a snowdrift over the ground below her to obliterate the rest.

If any positive thought could arise from this killing, it would be that the victim was taken completely by surprise. Paranoia nor reasoned fears had not darkened her days or caused her to rearrange her daily life in some protective, cautious manner. She lived every day to the fullest, satisfied and confident even on that last one when it must have occurred to her that she was very much alone. Perhaps they had decided to grab a bite to eat elsewhere and had neglected to tell her, or perhaps the wind and the falling snow had caused others of her kind to seek shelter, leaving her there alone. Whichever the case, it didn’t matter to her and she chose from the take-out offerings. That day she was not missing the pressures her society of friends imposed at such times.

He had been watching her. She saw him approach and immediately sensed danger, but it was too late. She tried to flee, but he was too big and too fast for her, and even though she zig-zagged and ducked and tried to swerve and wrench from his grasp, she could not. Death followed, not quickly, but violently, as he used the fence’s sharp point to run her through.

The killer was known as The Butcher, a serial killer and a cannibal, but in this case he abandoned her wrecked body. Habit and perhaps the psychological hard-wiring of his brain - not hunger – had driven him this time, which shouldn’t surpise us, for even Hannibal Lecter ate only the sliced off cheeks of his first victim, choosing to waste the rest. If her friends and acquaintances ever noticed her disappearance, they showed no sign, and the police did not file a report. Wind and weather would soon erase the reality that was her.
.
I have the proof of his presence at the scene immediately before the violent act. My photograph, shown below, might be useful to any of you who might wish to do something to bring him to justice, but I urge you to let him be.
.

.

.

.
.
This is a Northern Shrike, a bird who feeds on large insects, rodents, snakes and small birds. The shrike is a rare visitor to our place in the forest, but his arrival clears all other birds from the bird-feeders.
This afternoon I noted the absence of our usual feathered friends. Seconds later, the shrike swooped down, startling the one chickadee who must have been oblivious to his presence. They flew across the frozen pond, twisting and diving, the smaller bird perhaps only two feet ahead of its pursuer, and disappeared from my view.
.
The shrike has no talons; it kills prey with its beak and by impaling it on something sharp such as a piece of fence wire or briar. I didn't actually see this, nor did I really find a bloodied body, but - inspired by Sling's blog yesterday - I thought it might make a good story... because it does happen. And, uh, before you tell me how grossed out you are, stop by a slaughter house - you know, the place that turns cows into those nice, neatly packaged steaks you occasionally enjoy.
..
.
photo of a plate in Birds of America, edited by T. Gilbert Pearson

11 comments:

Sling said...

Yikes!.
Sinister looking fellow isn't he.
That was fun Wizard! :)

Pepper said...

We have our food in nice packages and eat our meals with knife and fork, and we think it brutal when a animal kills for food.

I find it interesting how this little bird survives. I just wonder how we would survive if we had to forage in the woods?

To be aware is to be alive. Sorry for the little chickadee.

DNR said...

Fantastic story Wiz! Very well written.

I have heard of these birds before, but not seen one. His method is no less humane than those birds with talons. Sometimes tearing the flesh form their catch (squires, mice or young that have wondered off) while still alive. Nature is a unique place and I can understand Darwin’s statement of ‘Survival of the Fittest’. It is only our insane need to be ‘politically correct’ that lets us believe that we, in the same circumstances, are any better than any of natures other animals.

I have been to a slaughter house… It was… an experience.

Bardouble29 said...

Wow, I really enjoyed reading this story. I loved the vivid imagery you used. You really inspire me!

..................... said...

i'm soooooooooooo glad the story had a happy ending. even a 'beast' need survive. i'm also kind of glad the ' beast' didn't end up being a cat. they can wreck plenty of havoc out there. (i have 2 cats, btw)

Em said...

You painted such a wonderful picture with your words! And I'm not grossed out at all. Nature can be harsh at times, but also simply amazing how animals adapt and survive.

whimsical brainpan said...

Great post Wizard, I loved it! You had me going there. I was expecting a hawk or something bigger. Thanks for telling me about the Shrike. This is where I learned something new today.

BTW, it is nearly impossible to gross me out. I kinda like gross stuff actually. Just do me a favor and don't put any more spoilers about Hannibal Rising in your posts please. It's next up in my reading line up. I hope it is better than Hannibal. Didn't buy the ending to that one.

Pink Icing said...

gulp....

Anonymous said...

Perfect Example

Belligerent
somehow,
even when just
sitting in the blizzard.
This bird
looking down
at us
with a half full belly,
having done
what it does,
and what it needs to do.

Grey and white
feathers
in a day designed
to camouflage
its deeds.
Shrike eyes
brillant, and defiant
in the swirling snow.

Truly beautiful,
as beautiful
as the Chickadee
it took
without asking
from the feeder,
from my heart,
from this world.

I do not
understand balance.
I do not understand
why food
needs be so precious.

Is this the moment
given
so we might finally appreciate
that life is dear,
so very dear and beautiful?

A moment, a day
when a Northern Shrike
swoops down
and grabs
a glorious tiny life with its nasty
necessary beak.
The perfect example,
so that
in our wonder,
and near horror
we might vividly grasp
the brevity and beauty
of our
own life's breath.

Dazd said...

Wonderful story...had me thinking it was a murderous "Hannibal" type story.

Anonymous said...

Wow- that's intense!
BTW, thanks for the info about linking- you're such a sweetie to type all that for me!