Saturday, December 30, 2006

Picture Imperfect...

I have been in the woods during the past two days, enjoying the white powder snow and the crisp, cold air. It's the first snow of the winter, following a warmer than usual season, and that probably enabled the spider and the snowflake to cross paths - something rare and unusual.




The photograph is of single snowflake, caught and suspended by a spider's web at the edge of one of the woods roads, glistening in the afternoon sunshine. Swinging in a light breeze, it made focusing the camera a nearly impossible job, and so the picture is less than perfect, hence the title: Picture Imperfect... But so incredible!

9 comments:

Linda@VS said...

Incredibly, I found your delightful blog after clicking the "next blog" button only three times. It's as if I've played the next-blog slot machine for months on end with nary a nickel back, and I've suddenly hit the jackpot: good writing and lovely photography.

Reading about your love of nature inspires me to recommend another blog I think you'd enjoy reading (not my own, although you'd certainly be welcome there): Life at Star's Rest. As I write this comment, Carmon Deyo, the writer of Life at Star's Rest, is snowed in in New Mexico with four mustangs, three rescue greyhounds and two cats. Carmon and her husband live in a yurt, and her blog is so rich with nature you can almost smell the pine trees.

Take a look and see what you think, and I'll make it a point to come back to visit you again.

Bardouble29 said...

Oh, how very beautiful! I really enjoy seeing nature inspired beauty!

russkal said...

Tic-toc-tic-toc...

The countdown begins!

..................... said...

you did a great job capturing that snowflake, wizard..

Max and Me said...

oh wow! how fragile and beautiful. there is something magical about a solitary snowflake. this is a perfect symbol for us all.

whimsical brainpan said...

That is just gorgeous!

I would hardly ever say your are wrong about something Wizard but I think that is the wrong title for such a beautiful pic.

Judy said...

The short-coming of the photo is that the snowflake was crystaline, reflecting tiny, diamond-like glitter as the sun hit it. I took many shots, but none quite got the flake in perfect (and therefore glittery) focus. Grrrrrr!!! Frustrating!!! But yes, it is a good picture nonetheless. Thank you all for your praise and appreciation - you have brought my day into perfect (and therefore glittery) focus.

DirkStar said...

Happy New Year, you wascally wizard you.

Pepper said...

That is a beautiful picture. Truly amazing.

I stopped by to wish you a Happy New Year.