Wednesday, November 15, 2006















Attack

At the beginning, they came slowly. I noticed the first one near the front steps, slow-moving yet deliberate, it’s eyes still adjusting to the relative brightness. A life spent in groundwater hadn’t prepared it for even the overcast grayness of the day. I ran for the bug jar.

Captured and under the intense scrutiny of a kitchen halogen spotlight, it froze, squinting at the kaleidoscopic view afforded by the curved glass of its Ball mason jar prison. It seemed harmless enough, although a thorough search of Field Guide to Insects and Spiders failed to yield any clues to its identity. Curiously, it appeared to have grown slightly larger during the time I was scanning my bookcase for a copy of Pond Life. I released it near the back door, snapped a couple of photos, and went in to start cooking dinner.

It was fairly late and I was a bit groggy when I headed out to do the barn chores. The day’s drizzle was continuing and the night was black when I returned, and then suddenly I saw them: five or six of the same strange creatures, grouped together and moving slowly in the direction of the house. Stifling a scream, I raced past them and through the door to safety.

Sleep came with difficulty. Visions of pincers, round staring eyes, backs that resembled decorated armor, wings - all these haunted me and filled my heart with fear. There was also a strange new rustling sound cutting the night air, soft but audible, emanating from someplace near the well.

In the morning, all of my fears were realized. Just as Hamlin was overrun by rats, so was my front yard inundated with lobster-like bugs. They clambered from the well, scuttled across the flower beds, mounted the house walls and beat their pincers upon the window panes. I Googled for help but none came. I emailed the local public radio station’s host of “Natural Selections” and she in turn emailed her biology professor co-host, and finally came the answer: "Oooh, neat-o! It's a Giant Water Bug; they can fly and they do travel between lakes sometimes. Don't pick it up, though; they stab you with their piercing-sucking mouthparts = mega-OUCH."

And then around 10 o'clock, more quickly than they had arrived, they all took wing and vanished, leaving me to ponder whether the professor is right. Yes, I suppose they could have been Giant Water Bugs, but my suspicion is that they were giardia lambia. They came from my well, they attacked me... Surely if a beautiful monarch butterfly can emerge from a chrysalis, then these strange creatures could be the incarnation of microscopic giardia beasties. Life is sometimes stranger than fiction.

6 comments:

Judy said...

Uh, ooops... I guess I needed to mention that this is one of those posts that isn't entirely "true"...

Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight...

Giant-science-fiction-radioactive-
pincered-mutant-bugs from Japan invade your peaceful rural domain.

You want to be grandma to my child...

And have my baby picked up and flown by said insects to the lake of horrors to be raised as one of their own?

N-o-o-o-o-o-o...

The horror! The horror!

Run for your lives!

Anonymous said...

I believed every word of your story!!!!! So many weird things have been happening to you this additional one seemed just another day in the Life of...

Anonymous said...

Sigh... Why do the creatures always wind up with lovely faeries like you to be their front speakers?

You blind us with the eyes and smile...

The next thing we know, Bam, we're living in a cocoon with our brains being sucked out by hungry larval off spring.

Beware the faeries...

Anonymous said...

Eeeew, we found one of those once. They are so big!!!

Anonymous said...

Great entry! I am still laughing!

Life is stranger than fiction. So few writers can catch and capture its strangeness, and only then fractionally. Nice capture!