Sunday, October 29, 2006




Opening

An artists’ reception was held yesterday for exhibitors at the Frederic Remington Museum’s Amateurs Only! Juried Art Exhibition 2006. Only a few years ago I might have considered such an event with disinterest, and in fact even yesterday I went there with an attitude somewhat prejudicial toward the combination of “amateurs” and “art,” but I had to go (in fact, couldn’t wait to go) because this year I am one of those amateurs.

To my profound delight, the two of my photos selected for inclusion among the thirty-six now hanging in The Richard E. Winter Gallery are in great company. The Remington defined "amateur" as someone not making his/her living selling art, and apparently that includes some remarkable artists. I am proud to be a part of this great exhibition and (in the style of a theatre program) thank Bob, Kelly, John, Terry (of Fisher Design in Potsdam), and all of the others who have encouraged and helped me reach this milestone.

Photographs: American Wreckage (above); Web Designer (below).

The museum's website may be viewed at: www.fredericremington.org

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talent knows no bounds so this is no surprise. Best wishes in the show and keep up the enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

I will definitely be stopping by – at lunch time of course without the kids so that I can concentrate. I’m excited to see your photographs. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am anxious on getting back to my children’s artwork and have big dreams on a website, etc… but the kids take up 150% of my time right – life just gets nuts sometimes. Your photos are amazing and you should be proud of yourself! Congrats and keep me –posted on all of your adventures…..I’ll let you know when I’ve seen the show!

PS – I love the ‘pork and apple’ photo on your website – AMAZING PIC! And the photo of the month of the hiker is gorgeous – colors are amazing! Have a great day….

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you are getting the recognition you deserve with your photography. I wish I could go see it. I think dad may have been to a Remington museum but I'm not sure where. He used to buy Remington prints and I still have a few that are pretty good quality. Does the museum have a website I could look at and
would the photos be on it?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It's nice to have an accomplished (and recognized) photographer on the family tree.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your winning entries. Soon you will not be allowed to enter the 'amateur' division. I spent a most enjoyable half hour or so looking at your photos and reading the delightful captions. Thanks for sharing a bit of your beautiful north country home with the rest of the world thru your eyes and camera. It sure makes a lot of what we call civilization and progress look pretty sad in comparison.

Anonymous said...

I hope the opening for the art show went well. We received the
postcard announcing it, but when the dogs saw it was addressed to
them as well, they grabbed it and ran out back to read it for
themselves. We think they tacked it up inside one of the doghouses.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats !